Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   My Carbon Fiber project (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207781)

pyr0b0y 03-06-2012 04:31 PM

When i first started skinning i would do a dry layup of the carbon fiber onto the piece. I qucikly learned to get a flat piece of glass, wax it a couple times, lay a coat of resin down, then carbon fiber, then another coat of resin, and wait about 10 mins (depending on your catalyst mixture), then lay it over the piece, it helps keep the weave together. probably the best trick i learned!

sene 03-06-2012 04:34 PM

That looks awesome man, great job. You inspired me to do the center insert of my hood (ZL1 replica). Any thoughts on how to do just a section of a part without being back to wrap around the edges?

BLU DUCE 03-06-2012 04:34 PM

I just finished my 2011 IBM SS. Motor, interior door panels,dash pieces,vents,upper door speakers. took all center console out @carbon fibrered it .Check my build on Members journal build under SpikeIII 2011 IBM.

pyr0b0y 03-06-2012 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sene (Post 4599064)
That looks awesome man, great job. You inspired me to do the center insert of my hood (ZL1 replica). Any thoughts on how to do just a section of a part without being back to wrap around the edges?

that would be pretty freakin hard to wrap vs make a whole new part. I think big top gt is working on making the whole insert in CF. i would contact him

christianmotox 03-06-2012 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pyr0b0y (Post 4599052)
When i first started skinning i would do a dry layup of the carbon fiber onto the piece. I qucikly learned to get a flat piece of glass, wax it a couple times, lay a coat of resin down, then carbon fiber, then another coat of resin, and wait about 10 mins (depending on your catalyst mixture), then lay it over the piece, it helps keep the weave together. probably the best trick i learned!

Thanks, that makes so much sense, the kit i got actually came with a black base coat epoxy, this worked like a glue to lay down the cloth, but for some reason the cloth lifted at a few spots (on the edge of the part) when i laid down the first coat of clear epoxy, do you think using clear epoxy might grab better and prevent the cloth from lifting?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sene (Post 4599064)

Honestly i dont know men. this is my first job using CF, maybe an expert can chime in and give you a little advice.
Good luck with youre project. :thumbsup:

pyr0b0y 03-06-2012 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christianmotox (Post 4599096)
Thanks, that makes so much sense, the kit i got actually came with a black base coat epoxy, this worked like a glue to lay down the cloth, but for some reason the cloth lifted at a few spots (on the edge of the part) when i laid down the first coat of clear epoxy, do you think using clear epoxy might grab better and prevent the cloth from lifting?

I use polyester resin (mainly because its cheaper). Be sure to use a thick coat or resin. It might also be useful to get an aluminum roller to prevent air bubbles in the resin.

Are you sanding down the part before you lay the CF?

christianmotox 03-06-2012 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spike III (Post 4599069)
I just finished my 2011 IBM SS. Motor, interior door panels,dash pieces,vents,upper door speakers. took all center console out @carbon fibrered it .Check my build on Members journal build under SpikeIII 2011 IBM.

I just checked it out, it looks pretty good. :thumbsup: Was that Carbon Fiber or was it hydro dipped?

christianmotox 03-06-2012 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pyr0b0y (Post 4599106)
I use polyester resin (mainly because its cheaper). Be sure to use a thick coat or resin. It might also be useful to get an aluminum roller to prevent air bubbles in the resin.

Are you sanding down the part before you lay the CF?

http://www.carbonfibermanufacturing....d&productId=10

Funny that you mention that, the first time i sanded down the part but it was painted and i didnt sand it down to the plastic. and it was a mess.

Second time i sanded down everything down to the plastic, but i still got 2 or 3 spots where the CF cloth lifted, this was right at the edge of the part where i folded down the CF. I suspect "User error" for not securing the cloth and leaving to much slack in those places.

Ill try the aluminum roller next time. Thanks

pyr0b0y 03-06-2012 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christianmotox (Post 4599156)
Funny that you mention that, the first time i sanded down the part but it was painted and i didnt sand it down to the plastic. and it was a mess.

Second time i sanded down everything down to the plastic, but i still got 2 or 3 spots where the CF cloth lifted, this was right at the edge of the part where i folded down the CF. I suspect "User error" for not securing the cloth and leaving to much slack in those places.

Ill try the aluminum roller next time. Thanks

corners are hard, but you have to sand around the corner, working up from a rough to fine sandpaper. and be sure to put the resin around the corner onto the backside. You can always use a dremel to cust the carbon fiber and resin off the back of the part.

ubrimah 03-06-2012 05:21 PM

Man I wish I could do this!

christianmotox 03-06-2012 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pyr0b0y (Post 4599205)
corners are hard, but you have to sand around the corner, working up from a rough to fine sandpaper. and be sure to put the resin around the corner onto the backside. You can always use a dremel to cust the carbon fiber and resin off the back of the part.

Got it, thanks for the tips. :thumbsup:

sene 03-06-2012 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pyr0b0y (Post 4599088)
that would be pretty freakin hard to wrap vs make a whole new part. I think big top gt is working on making the whole insert in CF. i would contact him

I'd still be wrapping part, well rather a section of a part. The ZL1 replica hood is made of fiberglass and comes as one piece, not two like the GM one.

Here's a link for it http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-2011-20...4e74ad&vxp=mtr

Any thoughts on how to wrap just the center portion?

ubrimah 03-06-2012 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sene (Post 4599414)

so why is the suncoast zl1 hood $1,200? That one is only $500...

pyr0b0y 03-06-2012 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sene (Post 4599414)
I'd still be wrapping part, well rather a section of a part. The ZL1 replica hood is made of fiberglass and comes as one piece, not two like the GM one.

Here's a link for it http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-2011-20...4e74ad&vxp=mtr

Any thoughts on how to wrap just the center portion?

I think it would be pretty close to what Hennesseygrv did with his car. You would be laying CF over the center section, then sand down along the lines in the hood and paint it so you have a nice even line dividing the CF and paint.