Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   17' Welds won't fit if?? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142523)

kevin1106 04-21-2011 12:38 AM

17' Welds won't fit if??

So I got a call today from Perry over at PTS. unfortunately I can not buy my welds from him, because I have lowered my car 1", Weld will not warrenty my rims. Weld claims that they will rub and ruin the rear rims. Which could cause a blow out. 120mph blow out:facepalm:Wouldnt be pretty. So needless to say I cancelled my order. Hope Perry become a bogart dist. Ill find out tomorrow.

So just and FYI, If you lowered your camaro, forget about 17' welds...:(

blazzin1 04-21-2011 08:47 AM

Yep, this was discovered a few weeks ago. One of the members here (94guy) had the very same issue (after he bought the wheels). I'm not sure if he was ever able to find a resolution or not. But I do know he was in direct contact with Weld Racing, so that's probably why they put that clause in the warranty now. Check out his thread:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134593

silverfox 04-21-2011 11:38 AM

2 Attachment(s)
My 17'' welds were rubbing on the inside of the rim where the weights were and knocked them off. I have the pfadt trailing arms and they hit the wheel so i ground a little off them and raised the rear back up a half inch. Works ok now.
Crummy pic but you can see where i grinded it.

94guy 04-21-2011 02:27 PM

yes my wheels were scuffed pretty good. weld won't do shit about it:mad0260::mad0259:. i'm going to have a guy that does chassis work notch and box the lower control arm for. Weld sucks

Wheel Czar 04-21-2011 03:06 PM

17 Inch Wheels

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94guy (Post 3123351)
yes my wheels were scuffed pretty good. weld won't do shit about it:mad0260::mad0259:. i'm going to have a guy that does chassis work notch and box the lower control arm for. Weld sucks

I don't understand? Why is it a Weld problem that you modified your car so that a pair of their wheels will not fit?

VictorySS 04-21-2011 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wheel Czar (Post 3123534)
I don't understand? Why is it a Weld problem that you modified your car so that a pair of their wheels will not fit?

LOL aftermarket wheels wont fit a moded car :rolleyes:

Capthowdy 04-21-2011 03:23 PM

spacers?

PTS 04-21-2011 03:59 PM

The Weld product is a good product but as discussed they will not guarantee fit on a lowered Camaro. The wheels they offer are for stock vehicles only according to the sales department at Weld. PTS will not sell a set of wheels and then have to tell you grind, chop or whatever to fit a car as my insurance liability would not allow this as well.

Sorry Fellas...

Perry
PTS

HumanWiki 04-21-2011 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PTS (Post 3123775)
The wheels they offer are for stock vehicles only according to the sales department at Weld.

Interesting that they're selling wheels, for people to drag race on, but call out only on a stock car... The whole point of dropping to a 17" on this car is for better tire choice on DRAG tires...

Anyone else see the part that might be a problem?

:rolleyes:

BTW -- this isn't directed at you.. it's at the statement from Weld.

94guy 04-21-2011 04:04 PM

well weld should have told me that the wheels don't fit a lowered car:mad0259: never once was i told this. the wheels don't rub until you launch the car so i never knew they rubbed until i took them off after 10-15 passes. so why would this not be welds problem? please tell me? also i don't think they knew till a few of us messed up the back of the wheels.

94guy 04-21-2011 04:05 PM

human wiki has a great point.

94guy 04-21-2011 04:08 PM

wheel czar you work for weld? low post count and your from the same area:iono:

PTS 04-21-2011 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94guy (Post 3123798)
well weld should have told me that the wheels don't fit a lowered car:mad0259: never once was i told this. the wheels don't rub until you launch the car so i never knew they rubbed until i took them off after 10-15 passes. so why would this not be welds problem? please tell me? also i don't think they knew till a few of us messed up the back of the wheels.

Oh I agree 100% and the app guide still does not say anything. I would call Weld at 1-800-788-9353 and talk to the Drag Sales department.

HumanWiki 04-21-2011 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94guy (Post 3123803)
human wiki has a great point.

I don't have a set and I'm still at stock height -- but, I find that comment from Weld to be a little interesting..

Vendors all over the place talk about NOT racing on stock axles, stock trailing arms.. How soft the stock IRS mounting points are, etc. and to replace all of that before you track so you don't tear stuff apart.. There are a couple vendors that even sell "track pack" suspension components that include lowering springs and different rates..

I don't really know many people rolling around on 17s for the look.. It's my understanding it's all about traction and tire for the tracks.

I know they can't test every part out there.. -- but, seriously.. someone making wheels should be a little more informed on something like lowering a car = screwing up their wheel than waiting for people to ruin them first.