Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Lets make a DIY Express-Close sunroof! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73896)

ninety6 03-29-2010 08:59 AM

Lets make a DIY Express-Close sunroof!

Current Status:
Failure. Can't be done with switch wiring or wiring at the motor. There are no 12v switched wires. :facepalm: Sunroof Manufacturer has confirmed it can't be done without re-writing the sunroof motor software.

My Conclusion
The sunroof motor assembly probably has the control features inside it that read voltage from the light blue wire (see below), and tells the motor what to do. In order to make this work it seems, I'd have to pull the headliner, dismantle the sunroof motor, find the actual 12v close signal inside the assembly, possibly screw around with the circuit board, etc. I doubt I'll actually do it.

there are 4 wires that go to the switch
light blue - control wire to sunroof motor harness
dark blue - ? to sunroof harness
black - ground
yellow - 12v

there are 5 wires in the sunroof Motor Harness
red - constant 12v+
black - ground
brown - ? - flashes 4 or 5 readings between 9v and 10v all the time (even without touching any switches)
light blue - control wire from switch
dark blue - ? wire from switch

the switch indeed has 4 positions. But instead of 4 12v wires, including one that i can tap into to trigger the 528T, there is ONE wire that changes when you hit the button. It reads one of 5 different voltages depending on what you push (off, open1, open2, close1, close2).

Next Step:
Wait for someone else to come up with another solution.

Ok...

several people i'm sure would love to have their sunroof auto close all the way at the touch of a button.

just need a little advice from electronics gurus here... I'm sure I could figure it out myself, as I made my 2002 SS auto-up and auto-down from the factory remote (with a ton of help from a few write-ups on the web), but i'd rather save some time and have anyone that's already done it or any experts chime in.

The close button has 2 notches -- half way down and all the way down. I would love if it the all the way down activated the auto-close feature. But honestly, if there is only one contact on that side of the switch, i'd be ok with auto-close all the time. i'm never going to close my sunroof halfway, and if i want to go from open to vent, i can push the vent button again.

And if you are concerned about safety, move on the next thread, your input isn't needed here.... :)

I would be happy to attempt this, take pictures, and do a nice write up. What i need to know is:

1. What relays/timers/etc do i need to get

2. What wires go where :)

3. Has anyone taken apart this part of the headliner, and how difficult is it to get in there to mess around with stuff.

3. is there room to shove the new electric parts up there?

:help:

Chief Bob 03-29-2010 12:54 PM

cool!

ninety6 03-29-2010 05:18 PM

Ok. I have done some looking back at how i did the auto-up/down feature on my 4th Gen. I used two main things: DEI 530T to control auto up/down on both windows (4 controllers) -- i think this is overkill for this project. 2nd is a DEI 528T Pulse Timer Relay Module.

I think this project can be done simple by adding the DEI 528T (~$15 on ebay) inline with the 2nd contact (if it exists) in the sunroof CLOSE button.

• The 528T takes a pulse (you tapping the button), and turns it into a 0 - 90 seconds "hold" of the button (closes the circuit for XX seconds)
  • timing is adjustable on the 528T and would need to be adjusted for slightly longer than it takes to shut the sunroof with the car off.
  • 528T is good for 15amps.

My questions are:
  1. once i do this, how bad is it to have to pulse keep going once the sunroof is shut (only a second) -- I assume no worse than holding the button down
  2. if i do this, what happens if i change my mind and hit the OPEN button w/o waiting for the 528T to deactive on its timer?

I don't fully understand relays all the time (just sometimes)... so... electronics experts... thoughts?

ninety6 04-08-2010 03:48 PM

Ok peeps... quick update. I have ordered the 528T from ebay... $13.95 shipped. I don't want to take the stuff apart more than once, so there will be no investigating first!

I have done some more searches and research, and I can't see any reason why this isn't going to work -- unless I have trouble finding certain wires I need!

I'm getting excited. I hate holding that button down!!:mad0260:

Michael_Js 04-08-2010 04:33 PM

You're having a great discussion - keep it going! ;)

If it's not that much ripping apart, I might be interested - no kids to worry about in My Beast! :)

csjcsj 04-08-2010 06:14 PM

:word:

SoTHavok 04-08-2010 10:45 PM

haha im the only person that likes to hold the button down

ninety6 04-09-2010 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoTHavok (Post 1695753)
haha im the only person that likes to hold the button down

haha. to each his own! maybe you like the feeling of being in complete control!

Buffnshine 04-09-2010 12:33 PM

:popcorn:

Sour DeeZ 04-09-2010 12:45 PM

I love this idea.

Moorepheus 04-09-2010 04:56 PM

OK, why didn't GM just put it there to begin with. I mean every thing else is ONE TOUCH EXPRESS. WINDOWS both up and down and SUNROOF OPEN...what were they thinking? What a pain in the ASS!!!!!!

third1 04-09-2010 11:49 PM

Does gm have a 3 position relay from a different vehicle that could be retrofitted.

n!ght r!der 04-09-2010 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninety6 (Post 1697031)
haha. to each his own! maybe you like the feeling of being in complete control!

Of the sunroof? :laugh:

ninety6 04-10-2010 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n!ght r!der (Post 1700990)
Of the sunroof? :laugh:

exactly. thats why he likes to push the button :laugh: