Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension / Brakes / Chassis (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Noise in the front, look here....might have something for you, +fill strutplate gap! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148648)

Camarowguy 05-22-2011 02:49 PM

Noise in the front, look here....might have something for you, +fill strutplate gap!

Ok, I've been plagued with a front end rattle since I bought the car over a month ago. I've had it up on the lift at work a few times trying everything I have read on here. Nothing was loose that I could find. The only thing that stuck out like a sore thumb was the top plate on the front struts. Looked like a last minute design too me with that stupid looking gap. So I was thinking maybe I could flip the plate over. Nope. It moves as your turning closing the gap between it and the strut tower. So then I thought maybe I could put a big ass oring in-between the plate and tower. Nah, eventually it'll work it's way out from between the two pieces. So I went to home depot. I wasn't expecting to find what I did. I found a rubber washer that looks like it was made especially for what I was trying to do. $4 each, I figured what the heck, this noise is aggravating the shit out of me, especially when I pull onto my driveway I get a loud thunk. Pretty embarrassing for a $30k+ car. I took it for a spin after putting this on. Did it fix it? Well not 100%, but I'd say 80%....to the point where it's livable. It took about 2 minutes to install too which is a plus. Even if it didn't completely fix it, the ugly gap is gone and it'll keep crap out of the top part of the strut mount too. Here's some pics.
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/c...y/68908903.jpg
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/c...y/38630c52.jpg
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/c...y/5cb6e505.jpg
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/c...y/50f341bf.jpg

You can laugh, because I did too! But the thunk pulling in my driveway is pretty much gone. Also, you can see where the plate has been contacting the strut tower. Can I say one more time....shitty design. The way the washer is made still let's the plate rock back and forth, but seems to help dampen the noise. Yes it was in the toilet section, seems fitting huh?

formare 05-22-2011 04:04 PM

Dang interesting. I only get the thud/ clunk in the winter. Not sure this addresses my issue. But seems like a dang good fix. Now if one of them bushing companies could produce a similar piece with better material, we would be in business.

jeffny09 05-22-2011 04:08 PM

dude why dont u bring it in for warranty work this crazy u gotta fix that it aint your fault

Camarowguy 05-22-2011 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffny09 (Post 3251151)
dude why dont u bring it in for warranty work this crazy u gotta fix that it aint your fault

Couple reasons. First I had the car tuned when I first bought it, unknowingly did it before I knew it would void my powertrain warranty. Second, I don't have time to bring it and I don't have another vehicle to drive yet either. Third, I don't feel like removing my vararam before I bring it in. Fourth, I've read on here where gm is not admitting there is a problem. It only cost me $8 an a couple minutes if my time. I doubt it will wear out soon and it fills that ugly gap too!

Camarowguy 05-22-2011 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by formare (Post 3251141)
Dang interesting. I only get the thud/ clunk in the winter. Not sure this addresses my issue. But seems like a dang good fix. Now if one of them bushing companies could produce a similar piece with better material, we would be in business.

I doubt the material is going to be a concern. The way it's made, it seems to give to allow the plate to move back and forth. Time will tell.

joleegp 05-22-2011 04:46 PM

Unfortunately the gap is 'normal', my husband hated it and since we put in Pfadt suspension we went ahead an got their camber kit also. The camber kit eliminated the gap completely. Different options out there to fix it.

Camarowguy 05-22-2011 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joleegp (Post 3251258)
Unfortunately the gap is 'normal', my husband hated it and since we put in Pfadt suspension we went ahead an got their camber kit also. The camber kit eliminated the gap completely. Different options out there to fix it.

I'm totally aware the gap is normal, I never really implied otherwise. I do this it looks horrible for one, and I also think they could have designed that part of the suspension differently. I've never seen another vehicle with that design....maybe something "new" they were "trying"? Can you post pics if the camber kit? Or maybe a link so I can see what it looks like? Maybe that's a better option. I just had to do something for now because that thunk or rattle noise was driving me crazy. Here you have a quiet car and when I go down my road, pull into my driveway and go down rough roads, I can hear it.

Camarowguy 05-22-2011 05:21 PM

Nevermind, I found it. I'm not spending almost $500 to fill a gap and then have orange mounting plates. That wouldn't look too good on a blue car. I'll try this for a while and see how it holds up. If ot does, I'll take the $452 I saved and put it toward some headers or something.

axis 05-22-2011 05:45 PM

I too developed the "clunking" noise when puling into my driveway or going up a slight incline. It just happened one day and for no apparent reason. Checked everything and made sure everything was tight. Took it to my friends tire shop and they found nothing as well. I have had the Pfadt springs and sways for about 6-8mo with zero issues. I went ahead and bought the endlinks, thinking it could be them going out, even though my car only has 14k miles on it. Guess what, it's fixed my problem. Absolutely ZERO clunking now. Not saying this is your problem, but it's a possibility. Personally, I wouldn't fill in the gap.

Camarowguy 05-22-2011 05:52 PM

So swaybar endlinks fixed your problem?

TMoneySS 05-23-2011 03:56 AM

:bump::bump:For more info, causes and solutions.

:chevy:TMoneySS (Taylor):chevy:

Camarowguy 05-23-2011 06:15 AM

I'll have a better idea of how much better it is after I drive to work this morning. Stay tuned

Camarowguy 05-23-2011 08:42 AM

Yep, that seemed to fix it. I rode to work trying to hit every bump I could and with the radio turned down. No more rattle. Mine was pretty annoying and it seems to be cured. I'm happy it only cost me 8 bucks. The car feels noticeably smoother too.

Camarowguy 05-23-2011 05:54 PM

The more I drive it, the more I notice how much more quiet it is. If your having this issue I recommend you try it. Putting a piece of rubber under that plate isn't going to hurt anything.