Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   RS with SS? Why buy? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8240)

Embalmer 10-14-2008 07:00 PM

RS with SS? Why buy?

So I noticed a lot of people adding the RS package to their SS orders. I guess I'd like to get an idea of why? I love the HID headlights but that isn't worth an extra $1000.00 to me. I figure I'll add aftermarket HID's later.

I did not order the RS package with my SS. Maybe you guys can change my mind :)

JMAN311 10-14-2008 07:12 PM

Since I wanted the Midnight Silver wheels, HID's, and taillamps it was an easy choice. Price is starting to seem more fair to me now than when it was first released. I consider the breakdown like this (what i think they are worth to me in the total cost):

$750 for HID's
$300 for wheels
$150 taillamps

Pushing_Tin 10-14-2008 07:14 PM

Seems like a really good deal to me. If you tried to add those items aftermarket it would a lot more than $1200 or so and it's factory so it will look right.

pinkcamaro10 10-14-2008 07:15 PM

and under warranty.

Embalmer 10-14-2008 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMAN311 (Post 158548)
Since I wanted the Midnight Silver wheels, HID's, and taillamps it was an easy choice. Price is starting to seem more fair to me now than when it was first released. I consider the breakdown like this (what i think they are worth to me in the total cost):

$750 for HID's
$300 for wheels
$150 taillamps

Oh wow, the HID's are really that expensive?? I had no idea. I was hoping aftermarket would be identical but cheaper....

Also, are there any pictures of the Midnight Silver Wheels out? I was just going to go for the Polished Aluminum wheels.....

I'd love to see what the difference is....

HeldonSS 10-14-2008 07:17 PM

I am with you...no RS on my SS. I think GM saw how popular it was going to be and.......... It is a better deal on the LT cars.

Pushing_Tin 10-14-2008 07:19 PM

Are the headlights bi-xenon??

Embalmer 10-14-2008 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeldonSS (Post 158566)
I am with you...no RS on my SS. I think GM saw how popular it was going to be and.......... It is a better deal on the LT cars.

That's what I was thinking...great for the LT but not so much for the SS.

I figured I'd buy aftermarket HID's for cheap and I'd rather have Polished Aluminum than the midnight painted rims?

Again, I gotta see these Midnight Rims.....

JMAN311 10-14-2008 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Embalmer (Post 158564)
Oh wow, the HID's are really that expensive?? I had no idea. I was hoping aftermarket would be identical but cheaper....

Also, are there any pictures of the Midnight Silver Wheels out? I was just going to go for the Polished Aluminum wheels.....

I'd love to see what the difference is....

In the wheels section I posted a couple pics to show the diff
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...?t=8075&page=2
post #31

I just based my price of the HID's loosely off the cost it is for the Challenger on Dodge website and added 50 bucks cause the Camaro ones look so much cooler, lol. I'm sure that they will be WAY cheaper in aftermarket. But I don't want to deal with the hastle.

Rogue Leader 10-14-2008 07:42 PM

I agree as well... I wanted the polished wheels so $1200 for headlights no thanks..

I'll wait 6 months till some people inevitably crash a few and buy them off ebay for 1/2 price and install myself.

rayhawk 10-14-2008 07:44 PM

It also includes painting the roof molding. That is a nice touch and the RS package seems worth it for $1200 to me when you look at those headlights. Also, I don't really see the wheels being anymore expensive than the silver ones, I mean the only difference is the color they paint the rims.

With that said, if you are tight on the price, the standard headlights look very nice too, so I don't think you could go wrong either way.

The_Stache 10-14-2008 07:53 PM

True HID's are expensive the bulb itself is only 1 brightness, no filament its just gas that gets electrically charged like a continuous camera flash. So to have high and low beams with HDs the bulbs are actually moved or shaded by a moving flap. With aftermarket kits they are usually 2 bulbs and you get HID high beam but that shuts off when you swap to low beam for the normal halogen bulb.

Also the electronics on a HID are more sophisticated and less tolerant of shoddy installs.. we are talking hundreds of volts here through a ballast.

TRUE DOT certified HID kits are usualy in the thousands range.

franknbeans 10-14-2008 07:55 PM

I'm personally buying a SS-RS because this car is going to be a keeper. I want to have an original SS-RS.

NVMY68SS 10-14-2008 08:17 PM

+1 This car is going to sit next to it's 68 counterpart for a loooonnnngggg time.

I also agree with wanting it to be factory. If you are able to find used parts down the road, I would talk to someone who can actually tell you whether or not they will be a 1 for 1 swap. This is not the same lamp or electrical system as was previously stated. I'm sure all of the parts could be added, but the integration of the halos with the foglights etc would not be worth my time when I can have it delivered with the car on day one. I agree it might seem a little pricey at first, but it's worth it down the road. Price up all of the pieces in the RS package and it will easily exceed the price to add it now.