Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction - V8 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   What can cause this? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=625075)

RupertPupkin 04-22-2024 10:00 PM

What can cause this?

Ran gates green belt, but it keeps shredding on me. That's usually if I do so hard pulls. But on a regular cruise, it's fine. Switched to a regular gates belt since shits getting expensive.

Anywho... help me diagnose this. I think it was doing the same with the gates green belt, but I just never paid attention.

It may seem like....
- the belt is too long, but it's the same series and same length
- pulleys are not aligned, they're aligned. Straight edge and laser confirmed.
- tensioner is not providing enough tension, that bad boy is tight as tight can go.
- SC pulley spins freely, no wobble, checked other pulleys also and they're good.

https://youtube.com/shorts/-w1iUS7IW...Y5Cq0yorp7jjyo

cc-rider 04-23-2024 06:04 AM

That long run of your belt on the bottom off that video looks like it’s a little sloppy and flapping around. Is it slapping against something down there? You may need more tension. These belts stretch more than you’d believe under high rpm and load. Go see some videos of that on YouTube. Kind of amazing how far they can balloon out. My guess is that your belt is contacting something under high rpm/load and stretch and it’s shredding it up.

I put a JRE Supertensioner on mine and it’s a nice piece.

fz4k98 04-23-2024 07:23 AM

Are there any witness marks on the belt showing an impact? Can you tell if it is breaking in a certain pattern like edge toward center or center toward edge? Do you have any close ups of the broken portion of the belt?

RupertPupkin 04-23-2024 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cc-rider (Post 11420356)
That long run of your belt on the bottom off that video looks like it’s a little sloppy and flapping around. Is it slapping against something down there? You may need more tension. These belts stretch more than you’d believe under high rpm and load. Go see some videos of that on YouTube. Kind of amazing how far they can balloon out. My guess is that your belt is contacting something under high rpm/load and stretch and it’s shredding it up.

I figured there's a lot of slop, compared to the other vids I've seen on YouTube. The only thing I can think of is to bottom out the tensioner, and see where that goes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fz4k98 (Post 11420372)
Are there any witness marks on the belt showing an impact? Can you tell if it is breaking in a certain pattern like edge toward center or center toward edge? Do you have any close ups of the broken portion of the belt?

The belts shred in 2-8 pieces, so no idea.

1JEWLDSSRS 04-23-2024 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cc-rider (Post 11420356)

I agree with cc on this one. That bottom of the belt is slopping all over the place, and if you look at it you can see that it is also walking side to side a little bit. I'm guessing when you run it up the belt is hitting on the back side of it from the SC to the tensioner pulley, or possibly in another area. One of my friends that had a 2011 vette grandsport had a crank pulley start separating since they were a 2 pc unit, and his belt was walking around side to side like that. But I'm not sure what kind of crank pulley you have on there. Just another thought. I hope you get it resolved. :thumbup:

RupertPupkin 04-23-2024 06:30 PM

Thanks. I disassembled the tensioner and 1 of the idler pulleys and tinkered with it a little. Lo and behold I was able to get it tighter. Hopefully no more shredded belts.

https://youtube.com/shorts/xYkD3Bxau...kOAA3SgBtX_hBJ

1JEWLDSSRS 04-24-2024 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RupertPupkin (Post 11420510)
Thanks. I disassembled the tensioner and 1 of the idler pulleys and tinkered with it a little. Lo and behold I was able to get it tighter. Hopefully no more shredded belts.

https://youtube.com/shorts/xYkD3Bxau...kOAA3SgBtX_hBJ

Cool. But what is that black pulley in the lower right hand corner of the vid that it only shows half of it! It is still bouncing around quite a bit, and the belt is still moving around a lot, that might be an issue to look at too. :noidea:

RupertPupkin 04-24-2024 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS (Post 11420666)
Cool. But what is that black pulley in the lower right hand corner of the vid that it only shows half of it! It is still bouncing around quite a bit, and the belt is still moving around a lot, that might be an issue to look at too. :noidea:

That's the supercharger pulley. Looks wobbly but it isn't.

1JEWLDSSRS 04-24-2024 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RupertPupkin (Post 11420667)
That's the supercharger pulley.

Oh wow!! That thing is wobbling quite a bit, looks like. I've not looked at any of my friends SC setups to see if that is normal or not, but keep an eye on it. The rest of the belt and tensioner look great though. Hope what you did works out. Gotta be frustrating.

RupertPupkin 04-24-2024 02:26 PM

I think with the camera so close and all the crap that was in the pulle (belt residue/dirt) gave the illusion of the wobble.

Ashen 6.2 04-26-2024 08:55 AM

Is there room to add another pulley where its moving around to take some deflection out??

RupertPupkin 04-26-2024 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashen 6.2 (Post 11421150)
Is there room to add another pulley where its moving around to take some deflection out??

I wouldn't even know and haven't really checked that option yet. I was thinking of it, but that was in the back burner. I think adjusting the tensioner bracket helped tremendously, and possibly resolved my issue.

I did do a WOT til 5500-6000rpms and no issues. That's where the belt will usually break.

dreksnot 04-26-2024 10:32 AM

This may or may not be a little off topic, but I picked up a Gates RPM High Performance serpentine belt since I couldn't find the green HD belt (over the regular belt). I reckon it's supposed to stretch less, not sure. I wonder how daily friendly that RPM belt would be?

RupertPupkin 04-26-2024 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreksnot (Post 11421181)
This may or may not be a little off topic, but I picked up a Gates RPM High Performance serpentine belt since I couldn't find the green HD belt (over the regular belt). I reckon it's supposed to stretch less, not sure. I wonder how daily friendly that RPM belt would be?

I bought an rpm belt also... that snapped not even 5 min into my drive. I know the belt have different belt tension tolerances. The regular belt need 90% tension, the green 65-75% and the rpm in the 50-% tension since they don't have any give. The rpm belts are nice, and very stiff, but damn they're expensive. I'm going the cheapest route for now. I snagged 3 regular belts on eBay for 50$