Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   GM bulletin on Perceived Paint Mismatch on Door and Quarter Panel Paint Appearance (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42940)

coolman 09-17-2009 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tran (Post 936504)
Gentlemen, please discuss this without getting contentious and personal. Thank you.

please don't use them big words. It makes my head hurt.

ssump29 09-17-2009 02:46 PM

Well I guess since my car is an early build number 5952 IOM I should see mismatched paint but I don't I see exactly what GM bullentin is showing. From different angles it looks like that but once I look from another its all matched. Thats all I'm saying.

Again I don't think they should have said anything because maybe only 5% of these cars may have had bad paint.

coolman 09-17-2009 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssump29 (Post 936549)
Well I guess since my car is an early build number 5952 IOM I should see mismatched paint but I don't I see exactly what GM bullentin is showing. From different angles it looks like that but once I look from another its all matched. Thats all I'm saying.

Again I don't think they should have said anything because maybe only 5% of these cars may have had bad paint.

Do you have the facts to back up that 5%?

GTAHVIT 09-17-2009 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssump29 (Post 936549)

At some point they have to respond. With as many folks saying there is a problem... They are somewhat forced into makeing a statement. Obviously there are some car owners that feel the paint was inconsistent. GM says "here's why it looks that way".

I say it was a good move. GM has been throttled here for lack of a response in the past....

I think, as the manufacturer, they have to take a stand, educate the consumer and then let it ride.

FWIW.

GTAHVIT 09-17-2009 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolman (Post 936576)
Do you have the facts to back up that 5%?

Of course not. No one does. The reason this whole conversation is so frustrating is there is no way to prove what is what.

If a camaro owner feels their paint is mismatched then they only have the option of taking back to the dealer and fighting for a fix/replacement...

Bottom line. This isn't like the transmission issue where it broke or it didn't.

How can you convince someone of what they aren't seeing or are seeing?

It's just not possible.

coolman 09-17-2009 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTAHVIT (Post 936598)
At some point they have to respond. With as many folks saying there is a problem... They are somewhat forced into makeing a statement. Obviously there are some car owners that feel the paint was inconsistent. GM says "here's why it looks that way".

I say it was a good move. GM has been throttled here for lack of a response in the past....

I think, as the manufacturer, they have to take a stand, educate the consumer and then let it ride.

FWIW.

It's one of those things. their damned of they do, damned of they don't.

crzycicada 09-17-2009 02:58 PM

It's an optical illusion! Cool...maybe if you stare long enough an image will pop out!

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/picture...lIllusions.png

Hylton 09-17-2009 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTAHVIT (Post 936598)

FWIW.

I agree. I think there are many who have incorrectly thought the paint on the door mismatched the paint on the quarter due to how the light hits both panels. This is just not possible because the doors are bolted onto the car when the car is painted!

However, items such as the front and rear fascias, the gas filler door and RS roof strips are painted by a supplier who is 50 miles away. They come into the plant already painted.

coolman 09-17-2009 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hylton (Post 936637)
I agree. I think there are many who have incorrectly thought the paint on the door mismatched the paint on the quarter due to how the light hits both panels. This is just not possible because the doors are bolted onto the car when the car is painted!

However, items such as the front and rear fascias, the gas filler door and RS roof strips are painted by a supplier who is 50 miles away. They come into the plant already painted.

Right, and that is what people are having problems with not quarters vs doors.
What a Joke. I wish my paint would just stay on no matter what color it is.

Hylton 09-17-2009 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolman (Post 936645)
Right, and that is what people are having problems with not quarters vs doors.
What a Joke. I wish my paint would just stay on no matter what color it is.

Yes but in all fairness, many people are showing up at dealers complaining about the difference in hugh between the doors and the quarters. For that reason, the TSB is appropriate.

VR Code R6P 09-17-2009 03:21 PM

So it's intended to look bad "by design"........ I don't think so.

Hylton 09-17-2009 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VR Code R6P (Post 936749)
So it's intended to look bad "by design"........ I don't think so.

Any other car (Mercedes, Ford, BMW) using the same paint (metalics) on panels with the same angles will have the same results.

ShnOmac 09-17-2009 03:34 PM

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_8DuPYVyy6i...ngItsTail.jpeg

TheCaptain 09-17-2009 03:36 PM

Is this a sticky yet? Should this be locked down? :iono: