Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Factory MTX Audio Amp/Sub installation... (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65038)

Bryan2230 02-09-2010 10:38 PM

Factory MTX Audio Sub installation... Radio Code?

Hey guys, just got my MTX Audio Amp/Sub Factory sub. I'm thinking about installing it by myself. Directions say that i might need the radio code, because i have to disconnect the battery to install. Does anyone know the code? Do I have to call my dealership? Take it to my dealership? If I have to take it to dealership, will I have to pay for labor? If i'm gonna have to pay for labor for the code, i might as well just have them install it.

Has anyone had a problem with their radio locking up after an Amp / Sub install? Do you always need the code if you disconnect the battery?

2010SSRS 02-10-2010 02:41 PM

i have never heard of this........

where did you get it? how much (if ya don't mind)?

honestly, i wouldn't disconnect the battery.

Bryan2230 02-10-2010 02:51 PM

Factory Sub Box (has an built-in amp). Its made by MTX Audio. It is a GM Accessory. I paid $780 shipped from GMpartsdirect. I bought it because of ease of installation, and looking at the directions, it looks very easy to install. If my radio is gonna lock on me though, I might as well have my dealership install it.

Onereign 02-10-2010 03:19 PM

Not trying to hijack your thread, but those of you that have this option, do you find that it provides enough bass for your needs/sounds good? I primarily listen to rock with some pop/hip-hop mixed in. I don't really wanna knock a hole in the sky, just want my music to sound well-rounded with a bass line you can noticeably hear.

Thanks

Bryan2230 02-10-2010 03:23 PM

Here is the MTX Box & contents, its GM accessory #92213214:

ibznu2010 02-10-2010 03:50 PM

sub

Guys i had a 10 inch kicker and 250 watt amp put in my camaro and it is more than enough. Box has amp in it. Had it put in by stereo shop for 280.00:drinking:

SummoneR 02-10-2010 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryan2230 (Post 1469573)
Here is the MTX Box contents, its GM accessory #92213214:

This looks like the mounting kit, that actually has a separate part number based on the computer at the Chevy dealer I was at. Do you have the part number for that? on a separate box perhaps?

Bryan2230 02-10-2010 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SummoneR (Post 1469835)
This looks like the mounting kit, that actually has a separate part number based on the computer at the Chevy dealer I was at. Do you have the part number for that? on a separate box perhaps?

Nope, there is only one part number on my box, and its the number for the whole shabang. And the wiring and mounting kit stuff was just in a bag inside the shipping box.

To be honest SummoneR, i think your gonna find it difficult to find this wiring by itself. There is also a female plug on the sub box itself, that is hard wired into the sub box.

first one 02-10-2010 04:44 PM

I have a 10" MTX with 400W amp with the Boston system for waaaayyy less than $780.00 and it sounds awesome.

SummoneR 02-10-2010 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryan2230 (Post 1469863)
Nope, there is only one part number on my box, and its the number for the whole shabang. And the wiring and mounting kit stuff was just in a bag inside the shipping box.

Interesting. I will have to go back and see if it's avail. yet, back when I went to the dealer they said neither the sub or the kit were available yet.

Thanks for the info!

Bryan2230 02-10-2010 04:59 PM

Honestly, I purchased it for ease of installation. I'm satisfied with ease of installation. The most difficulty will be actually mounting the box. It really is a plug and play system, unless the radio's theftlock kicks in. Anyone have any information on theftlock? Does it kick in every time the battery is disconnected? Do i have to speak to my dealer to get the code? Will they give me the code? Or will they make me pay for labor for them to unlock it? Does the 2010 Camaro's radio even have theftlock? The 2010 Owners Manual just says the radio memorizes a portion of the Vehicle's VIN, and wont work in another vehicle.

oachalon 02-10-2010 07:58 PM

if you didnt put the security lock in the radio or your dealership then you shouldnt have a problem. The radio wont lock.

Bryan2230 02-10-2010 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oachalon (Post 1470509)
if you didnt put the security lock in the radio or your dealership then you shouldnt have a problem. The radio wont lock.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by put it in the radio... I'm just afraid the Theft Deterrent Feature is the same as the old Theftlock feature. The way I read the owners' manual, as long as the radio doesnt leave my vehicle, it shouldn't lock.

pleigh 02-10-2010 09:05 PM

I tapped directly into the harness coming into the BA amp using a speaker wire to RCA adapter.. SUPER easy..

Installed a Punch 300 Rockford Fosgate pushing an 8" JL Audio enclosed sub.. plenty of boom/oomph for me.. price less than $450 from Crutchfield..

NO code was needed for this and I can only assume it has something to do with all those cables/etc. they sent you. OH, and I did disconnect the negative post from the battery in the trunk and put it in a glove while installing...

Be sure to post your impression of the sub once installed.. I was a bit leary of the price/performance ratio :yikes: