Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   I wasn't aware of this, stumbled upon it "Tap Start" (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43944)

SilverIce1 09-23-2009 08:28 AM

I wasn't aware of this, stumbled upon it "Tap Start"

This last week I was starting my car when the key slipped from my hands, but only after essentially "tapping" to start. The engine fired up! How cool is that!? We basically have push button start with a key!

Now maybe the rest of you knew this, but until this "slip" I was holding the key until the engine turned over. No need, just put key in, tap it forward, and release.

Edrock 09-23-2009 08:31 AM

Yep. It's all computer controlled nowadays. Several newer cars do that now. My 2003 Envoy does that too. Pretty neat.

CamaroHutch 09-23-2009 08:48 AM

It also will not make that horrible sound if you try to turn the key while the engine is already running.

jayson71 09-23-2009 08:49 AM

I love this feature (since holding the key until the engine starts just wears me out) I find myself trying to get my other cars to do the same and then looking in disbelief when they just choke a little and sit there.

Maybe in should have riden the short bus when I was a kid.:sm0::sm0::sm0:

daphatgrant 09-23-2009 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayson71 (Post 958310)
I love this feature (since holding the key until the engine starts just wears me out)...

:laugh:

Scott@Bjorn3D 09-23-2009 08:56 AM

The only wierd thing with the tap start is the Service Stabiltrack shows up for a few seconds.

camarossrs2150 09-23-2009 09:11 AM

so how do we do this feature .didnt even know we had that .and no i didnt read my book

Z28Taxman 09-23-2009 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D (Post 958340)
The only wierd thing with the tap start is the Service Stabiltrack shows up for a few seconds.

Mine did that this morning and almost had me in a panic. I was dreading having to take it in after only having it 2 days.

Camaro509 09-23-2009 09:16 AM

Just turn the key like you would normally do to start, but immediately let it go.
No need to hold it until the engine starts, the system will crank it for you.
Yea, this feature was designed around those that are just too tired to do it
themselves.

It's on my Tahoe and the Cadillac as well, starting a car without it is kind of weird now...

2010 SSRS 09-23-2009 09:28 AM

Cool man, another awesome feature of the Best looking Camaro ever made.

glambert1 09-23-2009 09:36 AM

I heard that if you push the window button all the way down and let go it will roll all the way down too , but that has to be a myth,:laughabove: actually I had my car about a month before I realized this too

Paperer 09-23-2009 09:38 AM

Yeah, I did this the night I got the car trying to just turn the key slightly over to get the electronics going when showing some friends.

FenwickHockey65 09-23-2009 10:13 AM

Yup, I think all GM vehicles now do this. Started sometime between '98 and '03, Sonoma doesn't have it, Envoy/Malibu do.

Spaceballone 09-23-2009 10:38 AM

Side note WARNING

Just alittle side note for all the people like my self that use the kind of lasso on a key chain, like the Addidas lasso that goes around your neck. While at our Freehold meet i was getting in my car and turned it over and then forgot i didn't do my return car walk-around. As i go to sit back in the car the lasso was on my seat and i sat down and it ripped the key right out of the ignition while the car was on! :mad0259: and the car cut off..good i guess in a sense but i automatically got sweaty palms and my heart started beating really fast cause i knew that could not have been good for the tumbler or ignition. So i go to put the key back in and turn the ignition and nothing! Cant even turn the key:cry: Try to move the steering wheel..nothing :cry:. So i calm down and give the steering wheel a little more force and turn the key and it starts up. so needless to say that lasso on my key chain is no more1:happyanim: