Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Engine failure (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185606)

Blade 12-02-2011 10:28 AM

Engine failure

So your's truly has been hit by the bug as well. Some of you witnessed it last week, some heard about it.

My engine failed. It started ticking, then knocking and then the engine seized up on me. The car would not even turn over, after it stalled. I had OnStar roadside tow the car to the nearest dealer. They checked the oil and it was black and smelled like it was burning.

The service manager, saw that I had longtube headers and the injen intake installed, so he explained to me that he will have to send a copy of my calibration files off the ECU to the GM rep for them to approve the warranty repair process. It took a couple days but the GM rep, has given the service manager approval to rip open the engine.

There's two options at this point, rebuild and replacement. GM policy is to rebuild if something like a damaged bearing or rod that has been bent. They will replace if my block has been damaged. The warranty period also does not start over, no matter what has been decided to do.

Anyway I should have my car by the end of next week. It's been sorta stressing this week, for me to be without the old girl, but they did give me a fully loaded Tahoe to lug around in.

What I have learned....

1) Check my oil every two weeks. There were no leaks, so not sure how this happened.
2) I am going to ignore the maintenance minder and change the oil every 3000 miles. Considering we are in the year 2011, I wouldn't think I would have to follow 1960s era maintenance schedules, but here it is.

I want to thank 67 GTO, HDRS, Scrming and BaylorCamaro for providing me insane amount of information and support over the last week. I would have freaked out otherwise.

RickRay 12-02-2011 10:31 AM

Glad that they're repairing it.....:thumbsup:

67 GTO 12-02-2011 10:33 AM

Man, that is good to hear. I was worried for you. :thumbsup:

formare 12-02-2011 10:35 AM

Good news from bad. It all came out well in the end.

HDRS 12-02-2011 10:48 AM

Great news I am glad it is all working out for you :thumbsup:

CamaroDreams07 12-02-2011 10:49 AM

Sucks man, wish your car a speedy recovery. I guess here's the proof Trifecta is undetectable though.

bmorecam 12-02-2011 10:50 AM

WOW!! I heard about this but never realized that it was you. I hope everything work out for you!

GretchenGotGrowl 12-02-2011 11:03 AM

Sorry to hear about it Blade, but I'm glad they are fixing it for you.

full of days 12-02-2011 11:12 AM

so what was the dealership's diagnosis of the engine failure?

OOLIE 12-02-2011 11:14 AM

wow I hate see another person affected by this. Glad they are fixing it. Keep us posted as to what caused it. Sounds like you had oil if they were able to see it was burnt.

garcmol 12-02-2011 11:17 AM

Oh man, sorry to hear about this. Please post when they track down the cause!

KMPrenger 12-02-2011 11:17 AM

Good luck! Glad to hear things seem to be going well so far.

orbitearl 12-02-2011 11:27 AM

good gob GM keep us chevy fans happy making sure we all sleep better at night knowing we can trust you

RS/4Life 12-02-2011 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blade (Post 4108042)
So your's truly has been hit by the bug as well. Some of you witnessed it last week, some heard about it.

My engine failed. It started ticking, then knocking and then the engine seized up on me. The car would not even turn over, after it stalled. I had OnStar roadside tow the car to the nearest dealer. They checked the oil and it was black and smelled like it was burning.

The service manager, saw that I had longtube headers and the injen intake installed, so he explained to me that he will have to send a copy of my calibration files off the ECU to the GM rep for them to approve the warranty repair process. It took a couple days but the GM rep, has given the service manager approval to rip open the engine.

There's two options at this point, rebuild and replacement. GM policy is to rebuild if something like a damaged bearing or rod that has been bent. They will replace if my block as been damaged. The warranty period also does not start over, no matter what has been decided to do.

Anyway I should have my car by the end of next week. It's been sorta stressing this week, for me to be without the old girl, but they did give me a fully loaded Tahoe to lug around in.

What I have learned....

1) Check my oil every two weeks. There were no leaks, so not sure how this happened.
2) I am going to ignore the maintenance minder and change the oil every 3000 miles. Considering we are in the year 2011, I wouldn't think I would have to follow 1960s era maintenance schedules, but here it is.

I want to thank 67 GTO, HDRS, Scrming and BaylorForce for providing me insane amount of information and support over the last week.

What was the mileage on your car when this happend.