Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Directions and Connections package. (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16143)

StarkyLuv 03-21-2009 07:34 AM

Directions and Connections package.

I know a lot of us wish the Camaro came with a "true" navigation system (I'm quite used to using my iPhone for that, actually), but this Directions and Connections solution actually seems pretty elegant.

I had no idea that the VISUAL direction will pop up in the DIC. So you get audio and visual cues just like any other nav system, just not the big, dedicated nav screen. I think I'll keep this option after that first free year is up!

Number 3 03-21-2009 07:51 AM

Yes it is pretty nice. I like a nav screen and all, but OnStar Turn by Turn is much better for getting directions on the fly. You don't have to stop the car, you don't have to type anything and you can even describe to the operator where you want to go if you don't have the address. The directions are loaded to your car and act just like turn by turn in your nav. You just don't have the color map. I actually find it to be good enough to be a reason for subscribing to OnStar.

On Othe GM vehicles it uses the radio for your turn and distance indicators. The Camaro uses the DIC which is very nice.

paulv7260 03-21-2009 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarkyLuv (Post 352951)
I had no idea that the VISUAL direction will pop up in the DIC. So you get audio and visual cues just like any other nav system, just not the big, dedicated nav screen. I think I'll keep this option after that first free year is up!

Me either. That does add value IMHO.

UCF w00t 03-21-2009 07:54 AM

http://www.chevrolet.com/allnewcamar...0_gauges_2.jpg

I have my phone with GPS after year 1.

StarkyLuv 03-21-2009 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UCF w00t (Post 352967)
http://www.chevrolet.com/allnewcamar...0_gauges_2.jpg

I have my phone with GPS after year 1.

I'm keeping this option, I think. Like Number 3 said, I like that you don't have to type anything. Just call OnStar, give them an address and they download the directions to your car.

But let me try the thing first. It'll be the first thing I do before I drive off the lot. I'll have it guide me home.

I wonder if it auto-adjusts when you go off course like other nav systems?

fireresq157 03-21-2009 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarkyLuv (Post 352989)
I'm keeping this option, I think. Like Number 3 said, I like that you don't have to type anything. Just call OnStar, give them an address and they download the directions to your car.

But let me try the thing first. It'll be the first thing I do before I drive off the lot. I'll have it guide me home.

Good question I guess worst that can happen is you call onstar again. I really like it, you see people here and there messing around with their GPS/NAVs while they drive thats dangerous.

UCF w00t 03-21-2009 09:30 AM

$30/month vs $0/month..... I dunno. I'll have to see how much I like it in practice.

StarkyLuv 03-21-2009 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UCF w00t (Post 353084)
$30/month vs $0/month..... I dunno. I'll have to see how much I like it in practice.

OnStar is already $20 a month. What's another $10? Especially if this works well. I also wonder if you can store directions, or do you always have to start from scratch?

Either way, I still like the no-typing thing.

CamaroHutch 03-21-2009 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UCF w00t (Post 353084)

Factory Nav devices are around $2000.00. You can have 66 months of Onstar turns and nav for that price. I know Aftermarket are $300ish.. so if you want that instead.....

UCF w00t 03-21-2009 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroHutch (Post 353106)
Factory Nav devices are around $2000.00. You can have 66 months of Onstar turns and nav for that price. I know Aftermarket are $300ish.. so if you want that instead.....

I've already got Garmin nav on my phone and it's free. We'll see if I keep any onstar at all.

StarkyLuv 03-21-2009 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UCF w00t (Post 353113)
I've already got Garmin nav on my phone and it's free. We'll see if I keep any onstar at all.

And the iPhone has Google Maps and is about to get a real-time nav system. But I don't want to have to handle a phone.

We'll see how this nav system works. If it's easy to use and ACCURATE, I'll keep it.

CamaroScotty 03-21-2009 09:58 AM

If you go off course - it corrects, say if you run into a detour.

Much more info at www.onstar.com

And if you think you want it LONGER than the free one year, tell your dealer - you can save a little more by buying extra years when you pick up the car, and roll it into your financing.

CamaroScotty 03-21-2009 09:59 AM

In addition, every dealership should have ONE CAR with this active, for demo purposes....so if you want to try it out, go to your dealer today!

Xanthos 03-21-2009 02:07 PM

That IS nice.

I may end up renewing my OnStar after the year after all. Is this on all Camaros, or just certain trims?
- Xanthos

ArcAngel 03-21-2009 02:17 PM

I actually have this on my Cobalt SS/SC its sweeeet works flawless and two summers ago it cut 2 hours of my trip to williamsburg VA 2 hours!!

StarkyLuv 03-21-2009 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroScotty (Post 353135)
If you go off course - it corrects, say if you run into a detour.

Much more info at www.onstar.com

And if you think you want it LONGER than the free one year, tell your dealer - you can save a little more by buying extra years when you pick up the car, and roll it into your financing.

It auto-corrects. That's it, I'm keeping it. Thanks, Scott!

It's weird that this "nav isn't offered!" mini-controversy actually has a better solution than a "true" nav!

GothamCamaro 03-21-2009 03:43 PM

I have a Garmin, think it's a 800 series, it's great on my current car but I don't want any wires or adding something to clutter my Camaro's dash.

I'm on board with Onstar, alot of great features and don't have to worry about much with it running.

Scotty, do I have to set something up prior to coming to pick up my Camaro so I can use it for the trip home? Just curious. I'll have my Garmin with me for the trip up North just in case.

StarkyLuv 03-21-2009 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GothamCamaro (Post 353875)
I have a Garmin, think it's a 800 series, it's great on my current car but I don't want any wires or adding something to clutter my Camaro's dash.

I'm on board with Onstar, alot of great features and don't have to worry about much with it running.

Scotty, do I have to set something up prior to coming to pick up my Camaro so I can use it for the trip home? Just curious. I'll have my Garmin with me for the trip up North just in case.

I'm trying to remember how I activated OnStar last time. I can't remember if it was already on or I had to do something to turn it on....

Number 3 03-21-2009 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarkyLuv (Post 352989)

If you leave your route, a voice comes across, "you have left the planned route. Would you like directions to get back to your planned route? Please say yes or no" When you say yes, it recalculates and downloads voice commands and DIC directions to get you back on course. Very cool.

cam2fst4u 03-21-2009 06:03 PM

Thank god.. I used the onstar nav once a few years back and it was just a recording of the person saying the directions. I am glad they have this feature sounds very cool

1fastdog 03-21-2009 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number 3 (Post 354128)
If you leave your route, a voice comes across, "you have left the planned route. Would you like directions to get back to your planned route? Please say yes or no" When you say yes, it recalculates and downloads voice commands and DIC directions to get you back on course. Very cool.

The Directions and Connections from OnStar is, IMO, very good. Most built in Nav units don't do it for me.

My wife's Malibu has the OnStar package, and no problems whatsoever.

On the fly and the ability to transfer a routing form Mapquest is very good stuff.

I think most folks will be impressed with pushing the button, giving the address or description such as the nearest "whatever" store or restaurant and getting the answer. Miss the instruction, you receive a re-route. Want to cancel the directions? Push the button and say "Cancel route". Very handy, very simple.

When I drive I want to drive, not type. :thumbsup:

joepitt 03-21-2009 07:33 PM

Onstar activation and availability

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarkyLuv (Post 353901)
I'm trying to remember how I activated OnStar last time. I can't remember if it was already on or I had to do something to turn it on....

OnStar was activated by my dealer when I got my Enclave. OnStar with turn-by-turn is on all the Camaros. I believe OnStar is on all cars sold in the U.S. They say turn-by-turn is available on selected models. I think it is pretty much all the cars now. I have a friend that got an HHR recently and it has it. GM owns part of OnStar so they want all their cars to have all the functions. The basic plan is $199/year and turn-by-turn adds $100/year. They will bill you monthly or give a discount if you pay the whole year at once.

OnStar works on the CDMA Cell phone technology and includes hands free calling. You can add it to your Verizon Family plan if you want. This may be an option for those not getting the C and C package and use Verizon.

the down side of OnStar is if you are in an area without CDMA cell coverage you can't contact them to initiate the turn-by-turn. This is more of an issue in remote areas, especially in the midwest and western states. A mobil GPS works everywhere (it knows about).

StarkyLuv 03-21-2009 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cam2fst4u (Post 354158)
Thank god.. I used the onstar nav once a few years back and it was just a recording of the person saying the directions. I am glad they have this feature sounds very cool

That's because you had the Series 6 digital package in your car (like mine) and not Series 7 and it's not upgradeable. Yeah, the OnStar operator would dictate the directions, record them and send them to you. You have to listen to a recording. This is a massive upgrade.

cyberbro 03-22-2009 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarkyLuv (Post 352951)
I know a lot of us wish the Camaro came with a "true" navigation system (I'm quite used to using my iPhone for that, actually), but this Directions and Connections solution actually seems pretty elegant.

I was thinking it will be fine, as long as you are not a heavy nav user.

HTWLSS 03-22-2009 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarkyLuv (Post 353765)
It's weird that this "nav isn't offered!" mini-controversy actually has a better solution than a "true" nav!

This is what many have been trying to tell the doom and gloomers for months now, but they wouldn't listen. :mad0260:

The_Blur 03-22-2009 05:56 PM

I like aftermarket Magellan that my girl has, but the system doesn't look like a component of the car. Also, dialing the location is always a pain. I think that OnStar may be a superior alternative.