Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Why doesn't the emergency brake hold the car? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108152)

Shift 09-28-2010 05:43 PM

Why doesn't the emergency brake hold the car?

Every vehicle I've ever owned has locked itself in place with the E brake.

My wife just called from her college parking lot and said she set the e brake and when she took her foot of the brake pedal to get out the car rolled forward into the curb and f**ked up the fascia pretty good.

The cars only a damn week old
I think I'm gonna be sick :barf:

Adding this post from further down the thread since it seems most people dont read beyond the opening post

I always leave a manual in gear, I just happened to not the other day for the first time in forever. She knows better too but its been years since either of us owned a manual, so now we have been reminded.

I'm going to see if I can push it down the street later with the e brake on and if I can the dealer will have to deal with it (no pun intended)

talwell 09-28-2010 05:46 PM

I think this may be her error - I have never had a problem with mine or heard anyone have this complaint.

LS3 SS 09-28-2010 05:47 PM

Operator error. And if you only pull the ebrake up partially, it is definitely not going to hold the car.

qkslvr 09-28-2010 05:48 PM

never had a problem with mine either... did have an issue with my CTS-V ebrake not holding, but was a issue with adjusting the cable and making sure to push it all the way down.

daphatgrant 09-28-2010 05:48 PM

Mine holds the car but you have to really pull it, pulling it up 3 clicks isn't going to do much. Sorry to hear this man :(.

Shift 09-28-2010 05:49 PM

Its not operator error, over the weekend I parked on an uphill driveway and it started rolling backwards. I double checked the e brake was up all the way and it was. I had to put it in gear to hold it and chocked the tires just in case.

daphatgrant 09-28-2010 05:51 PM

I'd take it to the shop then, if they find an issue hopefully they'll repaint the fascia. I honestly can't say that I've ever held the car in place with just the e-brake though, I always throw it in first then apply the e-brake, then shut her off.

2010SSRSM6 09-28-2010 05:52 PM

There was a thread about this last year where the e-brake cable was installed upside backwards. If your e-break lever looks like an antenna when fully pulled, you may have a problem.

tjbusa 09-28-2010 05:53 PM

Take it to the dealer if it does not hold the car. As a backup, leave it in gear too.

Ivas 09-28-2010 05:58 PM

If the E-brake cables are set correctly, a good solid yank on it ought to render the car immobile, even on the steepest of slopes. I park mine in San Francisco on any hill with it left outa' gear. The only extra measure I take is to turn the wheels in towards the curb,to the right if pointed downhill, and towards the left if pointed uphill. That's the law, by the way, even though it is unknown to most drivers who never experience parking on such grades.

"prima"Donna 09-28-2010 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjbusa (Post 2381110)
Take it to the dealer if it does not hold the car. As a backup, leave it in gear too.

:word:

So sorry for you :(

Shift 09-28-2010 05:59 PM

I always leave a manual in gear, I just happened to not the other day for the first time in forever. She knows better too but its been years since either of us owned a manual, so now we have been reminded.

I'm going to see if I can push it down the street later with the e brake on and if I can the dealer will have to deal with it (no pun intended)

Camaro_Corvette 09-28-2010 06:05 PM

Sounds sketchy...:yikes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shift (Post 2381085)
Its not operator error, over the weekend I parked on an uphill driveway and it started rolling backwards. I double checked the e brake was up all the way and it was. I had to put it in gear to hold it and chocked the tires just in case.

Then your parking brake is F'd up. Better call ur dealer

fastkevman 09-28-2010 06:06 PM

+1 that this will never happen if you leave it in 1st or Rev.
I always leave my cars in gear when I park and sometimes I actually forget to set the e-brake.....they haven't left me yet.:D