View Single Post
Old 04-15-2022, 11:38 AM   #47
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post
You are right unfortunately. With the advent of EVs, it will (destroy) alter the car culture as we once knew it. No more true muscle cars, or even cars with style and grace. No more acceleration sounds, or room for an (entire family).

However, I do not see myself buying an EV. The EVs are still behind somewhat in terms of convenience and usability. As long as there are Hondas or Toyota or the Big 3 pick-ups available, then that is what's left of my car culture that I will patronize. It isn't that I am against change, but change should be meaningful and offer improvement while maintaining the assets that I find valuable in a product.

EVs (and other alternatives) would have to improve to an extent where I can re-charge or re-fuel anywhere, pick up and go anywhere in the country without worrying where to re-energize, and have room for passengers and luggage. As it stands, it looks like EVs still have a long way to go to develop into livable transportation alternatives. EVs should also be affordable. I don't want to spend a limb for an ev if it doesn't offer a fraction of what a desirable automobile offers.
I'm just not sure where this whole EVs can't be elegant, stylish and beautiful. My guess is it's the "anti EV" belief that somehow if it's electric it must be an appliance.

This tells me one that it's just a bias that exists as people don't see how gorgeous the Audi and Porsche EVs are. Simply wonderful, although like all things based on appearance, it's totally subjective. Also, if you understood how much time and effort goes into making an iPhone elegant. Form factor is a huge effort with Apple.

As for not fitting an entire family? Where does that come from? Sure, no EV minivan yet (coming soon I'm sure) but the comming VW ID6 has 6/7 passenger accommodations and the Tesla Model X has 6 seats if I recall correctly.

EVs will do everything an ICE does except make engine noise and have a manual shift lever and clutch (Toyota has patented an EV device that lets it drive like a manual). In most auto segments, other than what drives this website, seamless shifting and quiet operation are attributes that matter in vehicle development. EVs fix that. Only in our segment, performance cars, does the NVH issue even come into play. Reminded that the big knock on the CTS V and CT4 V Blackwing was engine sound from the V6. Not just that is doesn't have the sound, but the sound it does have isn't good.

We have to stop with this mis understanding that an EV is somehow akin to your washer and dryer (even though as I understand it, a former GM Design Staff executive is head of styling at GE or similar, lol). If you think an Audi eTron GT isn't special and is simply a refrigerator looking car, then I have to feel at least a little bad for you. And if that doesn't float your boat, at least check out the Porsche Taycan. You may not like either to your eye, but neither are "appliances". Both of these cars were designed and engineered for people that enjoy driving cars by people that enjoy driving cars that work for companies that make cars for people that enjoy driving cars.

Car culture will not be destroyed by EVs. L4 and L5 autonomous vehicles on the other hand might. When it truly becomes a vehicle/conveyance that you don't own and don't drive we will see the beginning of the end. Not sure when that happens, but the GM Cruise Origin is on it's way.