View Single Post
Old 08-14-2008, 04:43 PM   #244
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
Can someone explain how the assymetric half shafts do their magic against wheel hop?
sure...read on....
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
it's PFM? same thing that makes computers talk to each other, put man on the moon, and allows me to play realistic games on my ps3. . .lol.
sorry, no.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wm Holden View Post
I think it means two different sizes so they don't set up a resonance or tone.
resonance...yes, tone....no. its a different type of resonance, think of a pendulum swinging back and forth, thats the kind of resonance...back and forth.
the shafts are of different diameter (33mm left /40mm right)... what this does is prevent wheel hop. when you stomp on the gas, the axle twists, not much, but it does, if it didnt, it would snap in a heartbeat and you'd be replacing them all the time. we'll come back to this in a moment.

now imagine an older axle without limited slip. punch the gas and which tire spins? the right rear correct? this is because of the way the axle gets its power from the driveshaft. the rotational torque from the driveshaft effectively puts all the power to the right axle, then thru spider gears, some of that power gets transferred to the left side.
basically: driveshaft->rear gears-> right axle-> left axle

now with the advent of limited slip rear ends, you are able to transfer more power to the left to equalize the load. but it is still sending the power to the right first. if you ever watch drag cars from the rear, you'll see the importance of preloading the suspension to counter the torque-load that is applied to the right rear of the car in order to minimize wheel hop. what does this have to do with asymetrical axle shafts? everything. its all about the wheel hop, and i like to give you all some background information on why things are the way they are.

now back to the shafts, with the larger half shaft on the right, it makes it harder (so to speak) for the right side to flex as much allowing you to keep more power to the ground. mixing this info all together, imagine the right side gets a 60% of the power and 40% of the power goes to the left side. if the shafts are of equal size, then the right side will be overpowered and want to flex and resonate (flex back and forth while rotating) aka wheel hopping while the left is staying planted. now if you enlarge the shaft on the right side, it creates a larger force to have to move, allowing the 40% that is going to the left side (smaller axle) to equal the 60% that is going to the right.

*disclaimer, the axles dont get a 40/60 split, i am just using that as an example*

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
I'll do some searching to validate my thoughts. but here goes

I think since one shaft is shorter it weighs less. So when you are spinning the tires, it's like spinning a shaft that is heavier at one end which makes it wobble, thus the wheel hop.

If I'm not mistaken the bigger diameter shaft is the shorter one to counterbalance the entire rear end to prevent the one sided wheel hop.

I'll do some digging on the CTSV site and see if I recall it correctly.

Stand by....

Edit: All I can find are articles that say, "They've corrected the wheel hop by adding asymmetrical half shaft...." etc.
the shaft isnt shorter in the sense that you are thinking, they are roughly the same length only different diameters and obviously, different weights
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote