View Single Post
Old 10-12-2023, 06:53 PM   #11
AlisoBob

Drives: Camaro 2SS Gen 5
OK.... it was "Fluid Day" today.........

I wont bore everyone with the details.... you've all done this before. I'll just tell you what I've done, and the reasons why.

I when I buy a used vehicle... I swap out EVERY fluid,right off the bat to get a idea of the condition of everything, and to set my own baseline for future maintenance.....
I swap the:
Engine oil 1X
Trans oil 2X ( or more depending on condition. )
Rear axle oil 2X
Coolant 1X ( or more depending on condition)
Brake fluid 1X

So,it had the typical "Jiffy Lube" oil and filter on it, when I bought it. I used Mobil 1 0w/40 Euro oil and a Wix XP filter on the serivce. Why? I have a GREAT track record running that oil in ALL my gassers. Testing also shows it's really more like a 0w/35 than a true 40. GM reccomends light oil to make CAFE Efficiency goals, and markets that Dexos approval to generate hundreds of millions of dollars in licensing fee's. Neither benefit the Camaro. I like thicker oil that pass's super tough european testing, and this is it. I have a 2002 GMC Savana Box Van with 469k miles on it.... as proof. Same with the extended Wix XP Filter. I dont need the additional debris capacity. If your making that much metal, the engines junk anyways. But, with the slightly thicker oil, I want more media surface area to flow that oil, without increasing the pressure drop. All filters have restriction, which induces the Delta P, or pressure drop. More filter area, lessens this effect.
Attached Images

AlisoBob is offline   Reply With Quote