View Single Post
Old 02-27-2024, 08:36 AM   #32
hesster

Drives: '10 C5 SS, '77 Bandit T/A
Then the 1973 Camaro.

Man, I loved that car, wanted to keep it, but had no room. Bought it as a wreck eons ago, the owner broke a axle and tore up the Rear 1/4. It sat in my Garage forever, and finally started working on it after I finished my "other" Camaro, the Whipple Blown "Beast". As I said, that Camaro is my other Build Thread.
So given that the exterior was crap, I sawed it up, and put Flares, VFN Racing Fiberglass Hood, Fenders, front Fascia with 70's Vintage IROC Splitter grafted on it, and even the Doors are glass. Lots of Bracing to provide structure. You could hold the panels up with a finger and a thumb - not exactly a safe car in a crash. Working with Fiberglass is nasty, you gotta cover up or you will feel like you went a few rounds with a Porcupine.

As my Brother found out 2 weeks after I sold it to him.

Found some ULTRA rare Indy Champ 500's with the spinner knockoffs, and shoe'd them with the biggest Mickey T's I could fit.

The Paint was inspired by the 70's Baldwin Motion Cars, with my take on it. After ENDLESS body work, I used $$$$ Radiance Lacquer which I had purchased back when I got the car.
Lacquer sprays easy, sands easy, and is forgiving. But it is not exactly durable like the Urethanes.

First painted the entire car Silver Basecoat with Flake, and then the Radiance is a Tint you spray until you get the desired color. I liked the Blue, which I mixed with Candy Concentrate, sprayed with more Flake and Alsa Blue and Violet Crystal Pearls. Alsa Corp has the best high end additives IMO. I looked like a Glitter Queen after each spray session. Finally bury all that rough texture from the Flake in many coats of Clear. Sand it smooth and polish. It is wild in the sun, and definitely smacks of the 70's Era vintage.
Power was a Built SBC and 350 Tranny, 4:10 gears - plenty of power as the car was super light.
I wanna build another one, but man they are expensive in any shape.
Ok , that is enough on the other stuff for now.
Attached Images

Last edited by hesster; 02-27-2024 at 08:46 AM.
hesster is offline   Reply With Quote