View Single Post
Old 02-27-2024, 05:48 PM   #39
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
You might have to use a smaller font for “Trans Am” and do it on the vertical face, below the brake light…

As for removing it, I couldn’t find any documentation or answers to the “test” speed of the spoiler. As the 5th Gen SS is “governor” limited to 155, I figured that was a limit in my book… Since that’s the lower middle end of third gear in my car… I would hate to be cooking along in 4th gear at 220 mph bout to shift into 5th and stand on it and have the middle piece break off, and unload what, in excess of a thousand lbs of down force… or lose a side piece and have the car turn 90° into the remaining wing piece due to differential forces… I ain’t got a rudder pedal… I got a turn thingy, a loud pedal and a chicken pedal… lol…

I did a bunch of studying and we did a bit of on site real world testing and without moving the blade back about two feet, or up some, it wasn’t doing much but it was squatting the stance a bit… not much… I actually built a high strake spoiler on a loose deck lid that was extended back about two feet with an adjustable variable height wicker bill… we intended to change the entire de k lid for racing… never got that far…

We were about to go into testing it with 4 corner ride height sensors when I had my heart attack and wasn’t able to race anymore… I eventually sold the car but kept bit and pieces that were redundant or stand alone… Now I’m paying one of them forward and happy to do so…

So the short answer, is after much reading and study, as well as seat of the pants feel, we put the factory lip spoiler on when racing and taped up the holes on the quarter… 225 plus mph and always, well almost always felt planted and stable… We also built a belly pan, boxed in the rear around the exhaust, installed a big splitter/air dam at the front and removed the hood skirt rubber trim at the top of the firewall, to let out the heat and much of the air flow coming in the grill…

Edit: Do you mind if I think about it again, if I remove the SS emblem… A friend gave that to me and it won’t fit in a TA…

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote