View Single Post
Old 04-05-2024, 04:46 AM   #14
Texas1ss

Drives: 2016 Black 1SS, M6, NPP, Mag Ride
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maverick View Post
I believe the GM platinum extended warranty (now offered by a third party) includes a similar global exclusion that completely voids the contractual warranty coverage if the vehicle is modified from stock. If you plan to mod a vehicle, read your extended warranty paperwork extra carefully before signing up!
Just to maybe help any of my Texas neighbors who are looking at warranties on their daily driver 6th gens pushing a ton of miles, I wouldn't use GM warranties if you have a high mileage vehicle. At around 96k I went to a GM dealership. They wanted almost 5k for an extended warranty. No thanks.

Friend of mine mentioned checking with my credit union. I did, and I got a 48,000 bumper to bumper warranty, minus wiring and wear and tear items, up to 144k or July of 2026, whichever comes first, for $1,500 bucks.

Not sure if it's in other states, but in Texas it's free to join and is called First Community Credit Union. They offer an extended warranty that's only sold through credit unions, and the company is U.S. Route 66.

Can't say enough good things about the company. I've heard the horror stories about extended warranties. But there's no deductible, and they've already paid out over 3 grand on a fuel pump replacement, chassis control module and flashing, and what blows my mind is two new front control arms and ball joints.

Surprised the crap out of me. I figured for sure the control arms and ball joints were "wear and tear" items. But they covered it all, minus the diagnostic fee of the shop for some reason, and the huge markup the guy did on the parts.

But he convinced them to change both control arms and ball joints. No complaints here. I only ate 300 on that one. Saved me a few thousand dollars so far, and I'm covered a bit longer. Only thing I'll have to deal with when it starts slipping is my clutch. I'm at 108k, and I can tell it's just a matter of time. Hopefully later than sooner.

It's as good as the factory bumper to bumper warranty, but the only thing it doesn't cover is wiring issues, which can be costly. Besides that, great deal.

Edit: After that 144k hits, I'm garaging it, and then the mods begin. Going to be a blast. High mileage, but a mild cam and a tune, I'm set. And great engine to handle it. Just like my old LS1.

Last edited by Texas1ss; 04-05-2024 at 05:00 AM.
Texas1ss is offline   Reply With Quote