View Single Post
Old 04-18-2024, 11:05 PM   #1
67-LS1

Drives: 1966 Chevelle
2013 LFX starter issues

I have a 2013 LFX and a 6L50 in my 66 Chevelle and I’m having a weird issue with the starter. Any advise would be appreciated.

When I turn the key to start, sometimes the engine will start right up. But most times the starter just clicks. Like weak battery. I keep trying to start it and after 2-30 or 40 times, I never know how many, it fires up. So I’d consider it intermittent but it happens way more often than not.

The battery is solid. I’ve replaced the starter. I’ve ohmed all of the wires in the circuit and it’s all good. From the key switch through the fuse block/firewall connector to the connection on the starter solenoid.

Today I pulled the wire from the solenoid and put my voltmeter on it. Every time I turned the key to start I got 12 volts. Every time.

So I put my probe in through the back of the connector so I could check the voltage with the wire plugged into the solenoid. So with the wire plugged in I get 6 volts when trying to start and it clicked. When it finally started (after 6 clicks) its because it jumped to 9 volts.

So to recap, unconnected I get 12 volts every time. But when the wire is plugged in to the solenoid it get intermittent 6-9 volts, 6 more often than 9.

Thoughts?