View Single Post
Old 05-05-2024, 09:02 AM   #125
hesster

Drives: '10 C5 SS, '77 Bandit T/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bald_eagle_machine View Post
Here is a serial #1 trans am hurst build for sale in Florida. Might give you some insight on how you want to present the car? They have tire sizes, and all that listed. https://www.facebook.com/share/NW5tQ...ibextid=kL3p88
Thanks BEM - I have seen that in my research - one bad ass machine, and quite pricey for sure.

So worked the Barn's Car building side for Paint prep. Took longer than expected, as I knew it has to be as clean as possible when throwing Paint. That means sweeping, blowing it out, then mopping it 2x to get rid of any dust. Including the concrete. Have a big Tarp sheet layed down to set the stands and parts on. I will mop again right before painting.

Using (5) box fans too move the air out, and (2) window intake filters to allow fresh air in. So the idea is to let the fans evacuate the overspray as much as possible - they should move alot of air.

The Car will be covered with Plastic Sheets and numerous Blankets and old Sheets, all the way to the floor. I'm not moving it, as the Quick Jack is staged underneath, and it is missing harness's and intake air plumbing which it may not like when running.

Set up the Mini Spray Gun, as I will use that to start on small parts. I use a Filter/Regulator mounted to a stand, and a Air Pressure Final Filter and Regulator at the Gun intake. I learned to keep another Fan blowing on the Compressor located outside the paint area, as it gets hot with extended use.

Spray Gun ajustment is obtained by opening the (3) knobs on the Gun - Air, Fluid, and Fan Spray Pattern. There is no set method for adjustment as to how many turns on each Knob or such, just keep tweaking with Laquer Thinner to get a nice spray pattern as shown in the Pic. Then tweak a little when using the actual Paint, as it has a greater viscosity that straight Thinner.
Generally 60 psi feed from the Compressor, 30 psi at the Regulator on the Stand, and ~ 20 psi at the Gun with the trigger pulled.
The Mini liked higher Air Pressure than the IWATA, each gun is different. This is also related to the Cap/Tip Nozzle size, which is 0.8mm on the Mini, so it takes more air to push medium through a smaller orifice than the IWATA @ 1.4mm and the Primer Gun @ 2.0mm.

So today I hope to get final prep completed by securing the wall plastic sheets to 2x4's on the floor with more velcro, and testing the air flow. Would throw paint, but it is a crap rainy day.
Figures, so I will knock off some Sunday Honey-Do's

Paint Rule #1 - don't rush, don't be in a hurry, don't cut corners.

And last Pic - "Wall Art", couldn't resist.
Attached Images

hesster is offline   Reply With Quote