View Single Post
Old 05-07-2024, 08:26 AM   #126
hesster

Drives: '10 C5 SS, '77 Bandit T/A
Finally threw some Paint. Waited until the Barn was at least 65 degrees, put the filters in the Windows, and fired up the Exhaust Fans. This set-up worked great to evacuate overspray in a hurry.

Dialed in the Guns with the medium being sprayed as I went along, as it is usually different than straight Laquer Thinner. The toughest was the Primer/Sealer - it sprays as mud initially but smooths out with the correct coverage.

Started on the simple small stuff: Front Fascia Grills, Side Grills, Shaker Scoop and Trim, etc.

Everything first got wiped down with Final Wipe solvent, and shot with (3) coats of Adhesion Promotor. Generally its Paint a coat of something, wait 15- 30 min, repeat. So it takes half a day at least to paint some parts.

This round was to Prime only and put aside some parts requiring finish sanding (Scoop, Quarter Scoops, Engine Cover, and the Fender Extractors). These are "Class A" surfaces and will be finish sanded and buffed out where necessary, depends on how well the CC flows out.

Then some parts got BC/CC: the Fascia Upper/Lower Grills and the small Shaker Scoop Trim piece. The bottom Grills are done, as they stay all Black. The Upper Fascia Grill focus was to get the Black finished on the mesh part, as that will be taped off, and the surrounding surface sanded, then shot with SF Gold.

So what I learned was:
1. Don't over apply the adhesion promotor as it will not leave a very smooth surface, and the Primer may not cover it as well.
2. The Primer can be thinned out to work as a sealer for parts you can't and won't sand like the Grill mesh openings, or any of these smaller parts. It drys smooth if you spray it just until it shows "wet".
3. The Black BC is rather dull, but that is normal.
4. The CC is awesome stuff, and the IWATA Gun worked really well with it for a very controlled spray. Some parts are "textured" like the Grills, and I expected that would always read through the Paint, but surprisengly, (3) coats of clear made them quite smooth and glossy. They turned out nice.

Finally, yes, there was a disaster that had to be addressed - the Engine Cover. Nothing would stick to it, and I knew it would be a handfull since even masking tape would not initially stick to it. It did get throughly cleaned and wiped down, but have a laugh at the Pic of first attempt to Prime it.

Ya gotta know when to pivot, so I took it outside, and wiped it all off with straight Urethane Thinner and a rag. Then buried it with Primer again, and it came out Ok - good enough to finish sand. Obviously it needed to be "Etched" with a strong solvent, or any Paint would delaminate off of it at some point. The Scoop is mounted to it so that will cover almost all of the Top of it, so I only focus on areas that are visible on this or any parts. It will get painted Black, with Gold on the outer parts where the the Chevrolet logo is.

So not a bad start, and now will move on to the bigger stuff. It will not get easier, but it is nice to get this kicked off and prepared with the stuff I learned.
Attached Images

hesster is offline   Reply With Quote