Thread: Launchability
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2008, 05:47 AM   #9
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by xl1200r View Post
I'm not sure much a shorter wheelbase really affects anything. Funny cars and Top Fuel cars aren't all that short...
I don't really see funny cars having much in common with a street car. Simple physics tells you that the distance between the points that support the car (tires) determine the effectiveness of shifting the center of mass of the car. In other words, think of the extreme case of a very short car where the weight is in the middle, it will be easy to get maximum weight pushing down on the rear wheels, giving the best launch. In this case the pivot point being the rear wheels, and the further that center of mass is away from the rear wheels, the less effective the weight transfer will be. Why don't they race extended cab trucks, or wagons, partly due to longer wheelbase and difficulty transferring weight to rear wheels. All I am saying is that I think launch control aside, this car will be more difficult to get to hook up than guys are used to with their 4th gens. With a street car, most people don't want to set up their suspension specifically to drag race, so the car with the shortest wheel base will usually be easiest to launch well, all other things being equal.

I did'nt say it is a slow car, or that it can't get off the line. I am just trying to compare it to what many of us are used to from the 4th gen cars. And FWIW, I like the proportions and what I am sure is an improved ride of this car over the 4th gen, even if it means slower 60' times.