View Single Post
Old 12-10-2008, 08:24 PM   #10
z28camaro2471
C5 Member #227

Drives: Camaros
My Response to Sen Shelby

Done. Below is the note I sent along. Not eloquent but to the point. Much better than the profanity laced email I wanted to send and will send if this doesn't pass.

Dear Senator Shelby,

We can not lose the last significant manufacturing base we have in this country. Please reconsider your position and vote in favor of the LOAN. If we end up with only service jobs as the basis for our economy, we will end up at the mercy of every other industrialized nation in the world. Remember we became a world super power as a result of our engineering and manufacturing capabilities, not due to health care, food services or retail (the only things that will be left if we let the Big Three fail).

Sure we have foreign manufacturers producing vehicles and creating jobs in the USA. The fact is however that they still import more cars than they produce here. Additionally many of the support functions are done overseas and most of the profits are sent back to their home countries. As you may know, vehicle assembly is a relatively insignificant portion of the overall "value add" process in automotive manufacturing. Please stop trying to fool the American public into believing these are American vehicles produced in your state of Alabama.

I do agree with you that the Big Three need to reduce their cost structures to be more competitive. I do NOT believe however that they lack high quality, reliable, well engineered, desirable and fuel efficient automobiles. All you need to do is read JD Power and Consumer Reports. Given the opportunity to make it through these dire times that we now all face, I firmly trust that they will come out stronger and leaner and FULLY pay back the LOANs granted to them by the USA government.

No I don't live in Alabama, so I will never have the opportunity to vote you out of office if you vote against this loan, so maybe this email means nothing to you. However, I feel it is important that you know that there are people in our great nation that are in favor of this.

Lastly, in case you were wondering, I do not work in the automotive industry.

Respectfully,
z28camaro2471 is offline   Reply With Quote