View Single Post
Old 08-16-2010, 12:06 PM   #45
Havok

Drives: 2010 IBM 2LT RS
I hope no one takes this as a personal attack.

I think problem in America is that drinking alcohol is not something a parents shows their child. By that I mean most underage children their first drink happens at a friends house or when their parent isn't home. Therefore a lot of children don't know how to "use" alcohol, and often find themselves in dangerous situations where they are not properly "schooled" on what to do. I think if US society was a little more open to drinking kids would be more likely to start drinking with a more responsible adult than one of their peers.

I don't have any personal experience, but I heard stories of kids in Europe and other countries, where the minimum age is lower, start drinking with their parents and therefore learn how to better handle alcohol compared to us. Plus most countries have a lower alcohol age compared to their driving age which reduces the amount of drunk driving problems that you run into when people don't know how to probably "handle" their alcohol.

In the context of this sitituation: I'd probably be upset just like the OP, however, so many kids these days (and I'm not trying to make an excuse) are drinking. I think I would try to properly educate my son or daugther, and hope that when they go out into the real world they make the best possible decision, whether it is to drink nothing or drink little. Shit happened try to use it as and educational experience whether thats grounding her until she's 80 or w/e you seem fit.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote