View Single Post
Old 01-25-2011, 11:29 AM   #84
2010 SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM Black Polished
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickJRE View Post
Not a very fair post.

GM used this same motor in a boosted application that made far more power then what we were trying to make. Boost and Compression on race fuel is nothing out of the normal. Stock LS3's are in the mid 10ish compression range, we've made 750 RWHP with zero issues. There are claims all over the place saying the LSX 454 is more than capable than making 1200-1300 RWHP in a street car with forced induction.

This same LSX454 crate motor has been boosted by quite a few people. If you do a quick google search you will see.

The engine block failed. This wasn't a detonation issue caused by us. Yes we have a lost a ton on this job.

Also since we were running race fuel, The compression wasn't a big concern.
Not intended to be you guys sole responsibility...just saying that it should be shared by all involved. Yes I have seen many built from the crate engine and have read about many being built from just the block. The ones built from the ground up usually are lower compression set ups if the are FI.

As I stated, I felt that GM should stand behind this based on the conversations and written docs you all had from GMPP. Although it clearly was in conflict with their written warrantee.

I am sure the fuel and delivery was not an issue causing detonation and damage to this cylinder wall. Problem being clearly is that once it was boosted they want to skate on it. Had this been just a stock 620HP install it might have let loose just the same and they would have had to cover it.

To some degree it is kind of like buying a ls3 and boosting it. Gm will not cover it. But buy the lsx376 designed for FI and they will cover it.
This motor, if it is the one I am thinking it is, lsx454 is a NA replacement motor not a FI motor per their specifications. Can it handle boost? From what I see it should be able to....Forged internals etc. Only thing I would have done different is gone with a piston that would have reduced compression. Power loss would have been more than made up with boost.

But I will say I am now more than excited about what you are building now for him. Some things happen for a reason and I think this build will be the better for it.

Nick, Sorry if my post made it sound like it was you guys fault...I did not intend that but sometimes my written words come out like that. I totally know you were doing what you were told was ok by GMPP and have seen and done similar builds with no such issues.

Let me try again. And not intended toward any specific builder whatsoever....lol
As a long time follower and hot rod lover for decades, my overall wish was that builders would take the time to educate us prospective customers on all of the options..pro and cons, so that we could then make the educated guess and take our own responsibility for the gamble if there is one. My frustration primarily comes from seeing how excited someone is over a 750 RWHP stock internal engine still running on a stock fuel pump with 52lb injectors. Then when it blows apart blaming GM for making such a piece of junk.

Once again...Nick and Ted...You guys are great..I wish you were closer to Colorado. But you always will be my first source for many many mods and fixes that I need.
418 Stroker, 621RWHP 648 lbs TORQUE Built by Laramie GM Auto Center Tuned by Nick at Mac Autosport. EForce SC, 2 3/4pulley,LPE dual fuel pump, JRE Twin fuel rail upgrade, posi clutch kit, RX oilcatch can and breather, Callies Compstar crankshaft and rods, Racing bearings, CP -13.8 race pistons, steel rings, Comp Cams X6 blower cam, Springs, HD timing chain and tensioner, Doug Thorley Tri Y LT headers, 89.7lb injectors, RPM rollbar, DSS1400 shafts, Simpson 5 pt harness, BMR Toe rods and trailing arms, led lights, RPM input and output shafts

Last edited by 2010 SS RS; 01-25-2011 at 11:50 AM.