View Single Post
Old 03-31-2012, 01:05 PM   #658
cbass

Drives: .
Quote:
I look at it this way; Let's say you already have an SS Camaro. How much would it cost to change the transmission, put in a 3.91 gear set, change the shocks (and possibly springs), put in better half shafts, change the wheels and tires, change the steering wheel and shift handle, change the sway bars and end links, add a splitter and rear wing, upgrade the cooling system and upgrade the fuel system? The parts alone would probably cost over $6,000, and that doesn't include labor. However, since the car comes this way from the factory, you have to deduct the cost of the stock parts. So the option might not seem worth the price to some people.
Quote:
Also I think there is something to be said about the convienience of factory options such as this, especially on a new car. No extra down time, no warranty implications, etc. Body work and appearance costs can be considerable as well in these packages, and often overlooked because they arent necessarily performance enhancing.
I understand and I agree. Buying a brand new car only to gut the suspension and transmission is a lot of work and money with warranty implications. That and from my experience OEM stuff tends to be high quality stuff that has gone through good quality testing. Not always 100% true, but for the most part that reflects my experience. With aftermarket stuff it's a mixed bag when it comes to support and fitment. Sometimes you get an awesome product, but I have run into fitment issues here and there.

I was just saying that for me, and it's only my personal feeling on this, that I tend to usually see GM as offering high value for your money and with the price I am thinking this is going to cost I see it on the expensive side. Others may not and that's fine. It's also possible that as I know more about it that I will completely change my mind. It's very possible that at first glance I missed something.

I know it would cost a lot of money in parts to do stuff like this yourself, but I see it as with modding you already bought a set of parts that came on the car and then you are buying another set of parts. You still have the originals. Getting stuff like this from the factory you should be able to subtract the value of the parts that would have come on the car and add to that price. I believe GM would still be very profitable.

But like I said, this is just my take on it. It all depends on how much track racing you do. If you do a lot of track racing, then the times this package is claiming may be worth every penny and more. This is just cbass's perspective and nothing more.
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote