View Single Post
Old 04-28-2012, 12:20 PM   #10075
Arachnyd
Master of all trades

Drives: 2many2count
Quote:
Originally Posted by driyac View Post
Prices on cars have been inflating ridiculously. A new suburban is 80 k. Like really?

I'm sorry but even 42 k for this car is pushing it. Sorry just ranting
I think your just jaded. Inflation was just delayed for a while and now they are catching up. We are seeing more inflation than the inflation numbers admit because of the type of products it tracks.

Official inflation is based on CPI. CPI is based on things like Housing, Food and Beverages, Apparel, Recreation, Education, Medical care, Tabacco, haircuts, similar. OK, so our official inflation rates are low, but those are the "cheap" things in the US? Do you realize that the nickel you have in your pocket is technically worth more in nickel than a nickel is worth? (Worth $5.62 in refined nickel).

In fact whats more amazing is how low the average car price is. you get more for less today than in any time in history.

In 1950, the average family made $3,200 a year. Today the average family makes $46,326. a car from the 50's lasted approximately 75k miles, while a car from today easily lasts 150k miles. Conveniently that means in the 50's you would have had to purchase two cars to do the same duty as one car today. So that would be comparing a $3,200 car from 1950 to a $92,652 car today.

Now for 15% over one years salary, you could have bought a chevy corvette for $3500 (1953). We'll compare this to what you could buy today for 15% over our equivalent amount, which would land us a ZR1 Corvette. .. with all its unreal performance, fuel economy, safety features, and luxury features....

or look at the cheapest cars... 1300 was the cheapest you could go in 1950. Today that would buy you anything under $37,000- Like a super safe, super fuel efficient car with more bells and whistles than a 50s car could dream of.

Average gallon of gas in 1950 was 18 cents... thats the equivalency of $2.15 in todays dollars, but cars received less than 1/3 todays gas mileage. Therefore your saving money in gas as well.

is 1950 too old for you? how about 1995? average car price was $15,500... but todays average car price is a whopping $30,000. Wow, double in 20 years? (mind you prices doubled just in the 70s too) But lets just take a good entry level car... the Honda Civic.
A simple DX Sedan cost $12,000. Thats $17,400 in todays dollars, which will buy you a a DX Sedan with 1.5k to spare. the only other differences?
in addition to saving $1.5k, you get 40 more HP, a longer warranty, ABS rbrakes, Traction control, stability control, tire pressure monitoring, trip computing, side airbags, child safety locks, antitheft, AIR CONDITIONING, automatic headlights, power windows, power mirrors...

In other words, cars are a STEAL right now. I think the only difference is what type of people americans have become. They don't want reliable transportation, since they have no problem affording all the car they need, they go after the WANTS- they want STATUS, they want IMAGE, they want POWER, they want features.

Today you can buy a new hyundai accent for $10,665. That would have been $7,062 in 1995, and you couldnt even buy a car that cheap in 95 not to mention the lack of all the safety benefits you have in a new car.

Now if you want to talk about USED cars, tahts a different story.

(dang I wish it wasn't raining because I want to be at mod day right now! Hope those who showed up are having fun... looking forward to pics!)
2010 Camaro SS modified extensively. I stretched the body to make it a 4 door, but I swapped in the 3.6L DI V6 for fuel economy. Then I picked up a corvette body around the V8. I also swapped the body for a C2 Z28. (In short I traded it for three cars, a Corvette Z06r, a C2 Camaro Z28, and a Cadillac CTS Summer Performance package 3.6L DI with Aisin 6spd.)
Arachnyd is offline   Reply With Quote