View Single Post
Old 07-09-2013, 10:24 AM   #41
Tecca

Drives: ...
I have been thinking a lot about this thread and really still annoys me and tired of all the bad advise that is given on C5 and other forums for that matter. What I mean is telling someone especially a beginner that 105 and 205 works best or FG400 or Scratch X, or what ever compound or polish is best, is the worst advice I think anyone can give. That even goes with pad selection telling someone to start with orange pad or a yellow pad is bad advise as well.

I realize this is a Camaro forum, but you are not going to use the same pad selection, polish selection, or technique on a Camaro which is hard and then go to your neighbors BMW which is soft. UC and UP are great products and great when you are in a pinch. However like everything there is a learning curve.

What my outlook is for a beginner is first learn how to properly wash your car, and detail your interior. At the end of the day you enjoyed do it and you feel rewarded then move on to your engine bay, and ask yourself the same question. These are three of the easiest and safest places to detail. The last thing you want to do as a beginner is go online find a list of what might work for some, buy all this stuff and then either have it sit or start working on it and find yourself in a mess. Or more importantly give halfway done and be so bored/disgusted that you never want to touch your ride again.

So by the end of washing your car, cleaning your interior, and detailing your engine bay, and want to step up into polishing. My best advice is stick with a single company and learn their products. Such as Adams where they have decent products and are a great place to start easy to learn and have great customer service. Now I am not a fan of Adams (by choice) however for someone starting in detailing they truly make it easy for a novice and they do have great products. Then from there branch out and try other product lines.

At the end forget about Mequire's, Adam's, OTC, online purchase, or products in general and decide if you are going to truly enjoy this first, detailing should give you that same feeling when you drive your car or spending time with your family. It should be relaxing, fun, and enjoyable. Then come and start posting questions, reading other forums, or even emailing or Private Messaging. My door is always open, and there are a lot of other great people on this forum that are willing to help. Also email or talk to the manufacture as they are there for help as well.

Just enjoy doing it.
Tecca is offline   Reply With Quote