View Single Post
Old 06-11-2008, 10:42 PM   #40
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by wild_weasel View Post
Your math is good. Great explanation, but its not the time to circle that we are calling into question. It's the 6089.656 mile/hour (Mach 8) number. The SR-71 was fast, but not that fast. Let's say it can get pretty close to Mach 4...then its like 8 hours to circle the earth if we just double the time for half the speed according to the math where you already took into account altitude.

I'm at ERAU by the way...Prescott campus (the one I'm sure you applied to since you are in PHX). You aren't missing much here, lol.
Yea I was just using that as a reference for speed (later argument was going to be a comparison to actual flight times).

ERAU Prescott campus was the one. This was WAY back in '99 and funnily enough it was aeronautical engineering I was going to major in. Now almost 10 years later I have a decent career (27 yo with 9 years in IT engineering) and I'm doing night school, grad this fall with an AAS in Microsoft Certified Applications Development, then on to BS in Software Technology Applications from ASU.