View Single Post
Old 06-23-2008, 12:00 PM   #14
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFord View Post
"A 2008 Toyota Prius that was converted into a plug-in hybrid electric vehicle caught on fire during a routine drive in South Carolina and subsequently exploded, according to a service that monitored the sedan for the utility that owned it."
That particular incident had nothing to do with Toyota. The failure was in an aftermarket modification, and I bet the company that sold it will sell modifications for the Volt too.

Anyway, Toyota's reputation used to be well deserved, but two things happened:
- They got away from their specialty, building simple cars that last; this reduced their quality
- GM (and other manufacturers) picked up some of their own slack, catching up on quality

The proof is in the pudding. My dad and I bought brand new 2002 GMC and Toyota pickups, almost identically specified and equipped. Now, years later and with almost the same mileage, my GMC has been more reliable and held up better, though his Toyota has probably required less investment in repairs. All in all, I'd either give the advantage to GMC or call it a tie.

My GMC never left me stranded or had any dangerous failure, but did go through a lot of wheel bearings and had a recall for rusty tailgate cables. His Toyota had a defective ball joint that resulted in the wheel breaking off and rolling under the truck, potentially a disaster; it has had various small and medium problems (as mine has too). After all that, his Toyota runs like an old beater, somewhat loud and rough, and his 4wd goes "clunk" and must be engaged at a stop or low speeds. My GMC is quiet and smooth and the 4wd on it is too.

Anyway, they're all pretty close these days; Kia might still be lagging behind a little, and if Isuzu and Suzuki still sell cars I'd probably stay away from them, but GM/Ford/Chrysler/Honda/Toyota/Nissan products should be pretty comparable, quality-wise; Hyundai and VW are looking pretty decent in the last couple years.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...

Last edited by theholycow; 06-23-2008 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Missed "never" in "My GMC never left me stranded"
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote