View Single Post
Old 04-01-2015, 02:51 PM   #8
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
In general, a slightly higher front tire pressure than the sticker number will help your car's cornering and make it feel more responsive to the steering wheel. A slightly lower rear tire pressure can also make the car feel a little happier about turning corners. The higher front tire pressure will improve steering response and reduce tire distortion slightly (reducing front tire slip angle - as long as you don't overdo this), while the lower rear tire pressure will make the rear tires run at a slightly higher slip angle. Less front tire slip angle and more rear tire slip angle is the very definition of less understeer.

The lower rear tire pressure tends to improve rear tire mechanical grip, which gives you a little extra cushion against oversteer from a slightly too heavy right foot as you exit a corner.

I don't think I have ever run front and rear tires on any car at the same pressure no matter what kind of car it was, nor do I think I ever would. That's part of the factory's recipe for the OE amount of understeer. I typically run the front tires 2 or 3 psi higher than sticker, with the rear tires being 1 to maybe as much as 3 under (you can justify running the rears slightly under if you rarely have adult rear seat passengers, and only for short distances when you do). This *may* be enough to notice in purely straight lines.

Norm
Thanks. I pretty much never have passengers in the rear seat. Would running the rears 2-3 psi lower have any detrimental effects? Maybe lower gas mileage? Not that it would matter that much, I'm lucky if I get 12 mpg now, lol.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote