View Single Post
Old 05-06-2012, 01:08 PM   #4769
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
My understanding is that the 4L80 is better for street driving (like you said, OD). But also, I think the 4L80 is stronger. I'll stick with the 4L80.

The big question is whether I should go with manual shift (mostly for the fun of it) or go with the controller for auto shift (for the speed of it).
Couple questions Emma. are you going with a regular valvebody or a reverse valvebody?

you could go with a reverse manual valvebody which would give you two things.
1. the ability to run a transbrake at the track
and
2. the ability to shift up and down the gears with the console shifter... only downside with a manual VB is that you HAVE to upshift and downshift all the time. basically a clutchless manual setup. all the fun of rowing the gears... well, slamming the gears really, without the hassle of a clutch (time delay while shifting, clutch burning out, clutch bleeding, etc)

however, with the camaro, you don't have the normal PRND54321 arrangement on the shifter, so some fabbing may be in order to actually utilize a manual valve body.

and the big difference with a regular VB vs a reverse VB is that instead of P-R-N-4-3-2-1 arrangement, its P-R-N-1-2-3-4

Quote:
Fear not... no matter which way I go, I still won't have a clutch pedal!
see above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HufferSS View Post
Why not have both....use a transmission controller that allows for manual shift and put some paddle shifters on it. You can run automatic or manual shift whenever you want.

I would NOT let him talk you into a TH400.....the 4L80e is as strong and has an overdrive which for me is a MUST.
4l80e is the way to go for sure... well, a 4l95e would be nice too..lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
that exists?!? Me want.
http://www.retrotekspeed.com/product...ion_pdf-59.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post
4L80E for sure. DO NOT go with a T400. It is tough as nails, but old school. A 4L80E is a superior transmission for YOUR usage. Also, personal preference is to keep it auto. You can manually shift it anytime you want, but let the computer do it the rest of the time.

We have the 4L85E in the SST set such that if you manually put it into 1st, the line pressures are set by the computer to 'max kill' and the rev limiter slides to 8,000.
and traction goes out the window....

Quote:
I can and have driven a car with a manual. I can't do the clutch thing easily anymore due to my spine problems. I think I could manage a "manual auto" though. But, I think the purely automatic will be faster, so I'm leaning toward putting the controller in.

I just wanted to see if anyone had something to add about the options that I hadn't considered.

Thanks for the input, guys!
auto will be faster. see above comments

Quote:
Got the new truck today.

no diesel?

Quote:
Give me a few days...

The guy is coming out today to put the clear bra on it. (Same guy who did my Camaro from clearbraohio.com.) It goes in Thursday to have a Line-X bedliner sprayed in. I need to make an appointment to have the windows tinted.

I don't think I'll be lifting it. It is really high as it is. I'm glad I had those step bars installed.

I already have the off-road tires on it AND I learned my lesson and put 18" wheels on it rather than 20s (that was an option). It also has the off-road suspension.

I need to get my Camaro back before I consider anything else (headers, etc.).
how much off roading will that thing see?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Needs Raising.
Where's Pete to say it needs lowering?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HufferSS View Post
http://www.optishift.com/compare.shtml

Might have misspoke on paddle shifters but manual shift is commonly available.
should be able to work something out with the BCM and the TCM to integrate the paddles

Quote:
Thanks for the info.

I spoke with RPM transmissions last week. They strongly recommended that I go with the PCS transmission controller. It's the only one they use and recommend. I'm going to stay with that.
if that works... it works

guess we'll see
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote