View Single Post
Old 05-06-2012, 04:39 PM   #4770
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
Couple questions Emma. are you going with a regular valvebody or a reverse valvebody?

you could go with a reverse manual valvebody which would give you two things.
1. the ability to run a transbrake at the track
and
2. the ability to shift up and down the gears with the console shifter... only downside with a manual VB is that you HAVE to upshift and downshift all the time. basically a clutchless manual setup. all the fun of rowing the gears... well, slamming the gears really, without the hassle of a clutch (time delay while shifting, clutch burning out, clutch bleeding, etc)

however, with the camaro, you don't have the normal PRND54321 arrangement on the shifter, so some fabbing may be in order to actually utilize a manual valve body.

and the big difference with a regular VB vs a reverse VB is that instead of P-R-N-4-3-2-1 arrangement, its P-R-N-1-2-3-4

see above.

4l80e is the way to go for sure... well, a 4l95e would be nice too..lol

auto will be faster. see above comments

no diesel?

how much off roading will that thing see?

Where's Pete to say it needs lowering?

should be able to work something out with the BCM and the TCM to integrate the paddles

if that works... it works

guess we'll see

The truck is the Vortec V8 6L. Not a diesel. I wanted the diesel, but it was too much $. I don't think I'll be towing enough to make the diesel pay off in the time I'll have the truck. It might see some off road time. I'm a geologist. We like to get up close to the rocks!

Back to the transmission... I asked RPM if I sould consider a turbo 400 transmission. I also asked if I should consider making the 4L80 a manual shift. Here is there response:
"The 4L80e was a great choice on your part. I would highly recommend installing the transmission controller. The full manual 4L80e transmissions are very harsh shifting because they require the transmission to operate at max line pressure 100% of the time. The beauty of an electronic overdrive transmission is, when opperated with a transmission controller, it doesn't have to operate at max pressure. It can run at lower pressure for smoother shifts at light throttle and the trans controller can shift the transmission perfect every time it shifts. That means no need to install a shift light and stress over if you are going to hit the shift every time while drag racing. The PCS transmission controller is the only one we use and recommend. It works perfect and is fairly easy to operate."

I'm hoping they can figure out a way to make the paddles work. We'll see.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote