View Single Post
Old 11-04-2018, 11:38 PM   #36
CamiLFX

Drives: 2014 Camaro LS
Most of this thread is filled with misinformation.

Symptoms: Unpleasant feedback from speakers upon start-up, radio display and buttons flickering, no audio output.
NOTE: Radio would occasionally work as normal. ALL symptoms increased in frequency over time. Climate controls remained completely operational.

From what I understand from multiple sources, the radio unit (behind the face-plate) has poorly soldered connections, and the exact issue can effect ALL non MyLink units. If you're good with electronics and have an afternoon to kill, you can apparently locate the weak points yourself and re-solder them. This is the ideal route, because you won't have to worry about the radio frying itself again, but if you're not electronically inclined like me, you're going to have to spend a little extra money and also risk the possibility of running into this same problem again down the road. I purchased a radio unit out of a 2013 Chevrolet Cruze off of Ebay for $30, installed it myself, and had the radio unlocked in about 10 minutes by an independent radio repair shop for ~$200. No issues in the 5 months and 15k miles since replacement.

You also have the option of going aftermarket, but I personally don't recommend it just because of the lack of quality in the available dash kits.

Edit: Check your RPOs before ordering parts!

Last edited by CamiLFX; 11-04-2018 at 11:52 PM.
CamiLFX is offline   Reply With Quote