View Single Post
Old 08-12-2010, 09:01 AM   #24
SuperFly03

Drives: 2010 Kona Blue GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond Limits View Post
Sorry man I don't see what problem you are referring to...

I think you might be confusing the "notchy shifting" with the stiff detents in the tranny. There is actually supposed to be a positive engagement that you can feel when shifting into the gears. If you are encountering that same feeling while sitting in the driveways parked then I would be willing to bet that is what you are feeling. The syncros would have nothing to do with any stiff gear engagement while you were parked. However if you have a short throw it is only going to amplify that stiff gear engagement.

As for the grinding while spirited driving, I would be willing to bet that you are letting out the clutch just a hair too quick for the transmission to be fully engaged in gear which results in the grinding. An easy test is after you short shift it and you grind, if you push the clutch back in fully and you can put it into gear at that point it is not the syncros going bad (if they were going, they would go regardless of if you short shifted or not). Also remember on the 6060 there are 3 syncros on first and second and 2 on all of the other gears, so the odds of wearing the syncros are pretty small. Remember, that with this transmission if you are ripping gears and short shifting there is a very fine line between letting the clutch out too soon and missing the gear and getting the shift perfect, and it is very easy to confuse the two and blame the equipment. That is not to say there may be something wrong with your tranny, however when you push this engine and tranny hard it is not forgiving. You will either be spot on, or way off and the difference between the two is exceedingly small, and it will bark back at you to let you know you did something wrong.
I have to disagree with you. There is something wrong with the Camaro SS's transmission/shifter. I am not entirely sure where the problem is (gears or shifter) but the GT500 that I had has the exact same transmission, Tremec 6060. It felt completely different. I never had to force it into gear, I never got stuck, I never grinded any gears except when I missed clutchless shifting (driver error). The feel of shifting was so much different on that car. It involved less effort, it never felt notchy, I never ground the gears because of a jacked clutch, or anything of the sort.

So I am hard pressed to say the OP is doing something wrong when I am getting the same result.

You've been Thread Jacked by SF03!
Current Car: 2010 Kona Blue Shelby GT500 M6
Previous Car:
2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Two Back: 2007 Black Shelby GT500 M6
SuperFly03 is offline   Reply With Quote