View Single Post
Old 09-17-2009, 10:58 AM   #25
GaryTucker

Drives: 09 Vette GT1, 06 350Z, 82 MSE
Hylton,
Not trying to prove you wrong. I have no doubt that there were paint issues-its a GM paint job...every one of them has a quirk about them. Is that saying they are bad? No...just a realization we have to have. Every manufacturer has their quirks-it seems as if GM's is paint (probably one of the largest complaints I've seen across the board-usually it is orange peel though-thanks EPA for the water-based paints--I want lead-based back!)

I can show you two spots on our '09 vette that weren't quite painted-thank goodness they are at the body line over the tag indent, so they don't show. If they had been anywhere else, I don't know what I would do. I've chosen not to repaint the rear bumper on that car as ANY paint work, even documented warranty work, might raise eyebrows on this car. I'm allowing the dealer to replace a couple of the stripes that have bubbles in them, but I just can't let them paint it. There are days I wish we owned a "normal" Corvette rather than a 1-of-10 car.

I honestly am interested in seeing what you are talking about-especially after seeing this bulletin. My guess is the cars with real issues will have no trouble getting them fixed...Let's hope GM is easy on this one! We've come a long way from those slab sided cars of days gone by...its interesting how it changes things concerning paint.

I'm a paint critic-I admit it-if there is an issue that can be fixed, then it should be fixed and fixed right. It is a little of my OCD showing I guess. The wife gets close to killing me at times...but my OCD usually pays off for her when we sell our cars!

Hylton-sorry to have started the day off like this. Hope we can move forward from here. It sounds like two people that are passionate about cars discussing from two different viewpoints...we both seem to fit that description. I'm sure we may but heads once in awhiled, but I do respect you and your opinion.

BTW...Hylton, the conspiracy theorist comment wasn't meant towards you...I've just seen one too many. As a tech I never assumed the customer was wrong or to be honest, just a plain idiot...I took each customer concern as legitimate until proven otherwise. I can't tell you how many rattles (not all, many were GM problems too) were related to a bottle of nailpolish in a glove box or someone's gun clip in the glove box...those were always the worst ones to explain!

Last edited by GaryTucker; 09-17-2009 at 11:02 AM. Reason: more info
GaryTucker is offline   Reply With Quote