View Single Post
Old 09-30-2010, 10:36 PM   #17
alfie43

Drives: S/C 2SS/RS Camaro-6M-VicRed
Send a message via ICQ to alfie43
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedestech View Post

I don't think minor mods such as these should void anything. If I was running turbos, nitrous, superchargers etcc...then I would not expect a warranty of anykind and the "pay to play" mentality is perfectlly acceptable. But I do not agree with 40-50hp worth of bolt ons with a tune completely leaving you without a driveline warranty. I only have 4k miles on my 2ss/rs, and might forgoe the tune until I'm sure the driveline is sound and without any issues (maybe the 10-12k mark)...that way I don't have to worry about any of this. If something was going to break due to manufacturer defects...I suspect it would do it before then.

I'm not looking for my warranty to cover damage from modifications, but don't want to pay for any defects that pop up after I have tuned that would have failed regardless of whether it was tuned or not...does that make sense?
I follow and agree with your thinking that mild mods shouldn't void a warranty, but if you or I were the manufacturer, at what point would we stop coverage...40 HP...50 HP...60 HP? A line has to be drawn somewhere and a prudent business decision will draw it on the side of caution.

I knowingly voided my warranty at 1500 miles. I knew that I wasn't going to break my car. Seriously, when was the last time I (you) blew a motor, smoked a clutch, or broke a ring gear and didn't deserved it. When I did, I was either racing, full throttle power shifting, doing a 5000 rpm launch, or something stupid.

You asked if waiting for 12K miles makes sense. Maybe, but after 4K miles, I would think that you should feel pretty confident that your drive train is sound. It will only break....if you break it. We all know where "that line" is, when crossed, using the power becomes abusing the car.

My car makes 561 RWHP, around 640 HP at the flywheel with a stock drive train. That's more than a 200 HP increase and believe me I use it, but I don't cross "that line"...I can't afford to.

Alfie

Last edited by alfie43; 10-01-2010 at 07:07 PM.
alfie43 is offline   Reply With Quote