View Single Post
Old 04-01-2024, 10:14 AM   #6
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Shackleford View Post
No experience witht he L99, but my '18 silverado with the L83 has the DoD/AFM/VVT crud in it. I've never bothered to disable or delete it, and it's over 250k miles now without issue. I began monitoring the oil closely when it was new and noticed the oil would start smelling like fuel at about 5k miles, so I used that to determine change intervals. The oil still looks new, but being diluted with fuel is never a good thing and seems to be a product of those cylinders deactivating.

My Camaro has the LS3 in it, and the oil coming out of it at 5k miles has no fuel smell at all, which is not surprising since it doesn't have all that stuff in it. I could get more miles between changes on it but better safe than sorry is my theory on it.
Thx, I'm starting to believe this became -mostly- an internet darling. It's been out like 21 years. If hordes of people were left stranded on highways, I can't imagine how GM would have gotten away with it...AND doubled down on the technology. (DoD to AFM to DFM)

But yes, it's seems good, clean oil is key.