View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 08:24 PM   #1
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Wonder when the 1LE pops it air bags if GM will cover it

Had an issue a few weekends ago where my side curtains popped while cornering on the track. Opened a case with GM and was told yesterday basically too bad you modified the car and had damage to the front end. The "damage" was grass that caught on my front splitter as I drove off the track into the grass to avoid being run over. (I told all this to the Raytheon engineer that examined my car.)

So I asked the customer rep if the air bag system in the ZL1 and 1LE is the same as the SS. She had no clue what I was even talking about. Basically a waste of time. So you guys ordering a 1LE think you're getting a "track" car. Yeah I would be careful with that one. First time you aggressively drive the car and your air bags pop, GM will tell you sorry the car was doing what it was supposed to. I was told basically the car thought a rollover was eminent and it did what it was designed to do. After doing web searches for air bag problems I encountered a statement by GM. "In May, GM recalled 4,304 2013 Chevrolet Malibus to reprogram the airbag sensing and diagnostic module, which detects whether crash forces are sufficient to deploy the airbags. In the recall, which began in June, GM said that after hard braking, the module can "reset itself" and cause the curtain airbags to deploy "during an aggressive turning maneuver."

I have driven this particular corner over 100 times. Likely my problem was the hard braking before the turn. The way you're supposed to drive on a track. I'll accept the fact my car's suspension is modded, and maybe that contributed to it so. I accept that I eat the repairs. Thing is other than being lower than a 1LE, I have a similar setup, i.e. tire width, stiffer bushings, etc. So time will tell what happens once these cars hit the track. So don't try to sell a "track" car unless you're willing to back it up GM. BTW, this was during an HPDE event with a Shelby club. Have yet to see a Mustang exhibit this problem. They were having a field day ripping on GM that day.