View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 02:05 PM   #10
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
I would think this would be covered under warranty for false deployment.
No, already went this route with GM Customer Service. They are covering their asses and divulging nothing of what caused it. They have an engineering report on the data gathered from the car, but refuse to let me see it unless I subpoena it. Their standard answer is the car thought a rollover was eminent and the air bags deployed. I'm sure if I got a lawyer and spend $$$ I might get an answer. But the end result would likely still be a refusal to pay up. So cutting my losses and paying for it myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim968 View Post
I wonder if it's possible to disable the airbags via fuse/relay pulls prior to going out on track.
I stopped by the dealer today to get the ball rolling on repair. I asked the service rep if there is a way to disable the system while using the car on the track. He talked with the Corvette expert who also works on the Camaros and told me there is. Of course, it will be unofficial and he'll deny they ever said anything. Obviously they are not going to tell people how to do this and have some idiot drive on the street with it disabled and get into an accident.

My whole point in starting this thread is to warn you guys about driving the Camaro on the track. While GM may be advertising the 1LE as a track car, the definition of what a track car is in their eyes needs to be clarified. I know how aggressive I drive and how aggressive the Ford guys I drove with are. They don't seem to have any problems. It's not like I was drifting my car or hit something, or went off the track when this happened. I learned a lesson the hard way and that's the Camaro SS is not a track car for even occasional road course. The air bag system on the Camaro is like running a foot race with a rope tied around your ankles. If you run too fast, you're gonna trip.