Thread: Engine failure
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2011, 11:41 AM   #14
RS/4Life

Drives: 2014 2ss/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
So your's truly has been hit by the bug as well. Some of you witnessed it last week, some heard about it.

My engine failed. It started ticking, then knocking and then the engine seized up on me. The car would not even turn over, after it stalled. I had OnStar roadside tow the car to the nearest dealer. They checked the oil and it was black and smelled like it was burning.

The service manager, saw that I had longtube headers and the injen intake installed, so he explained to me that he will have to send a copy of my calibration files off the ECU to the GM rep for them to approve the warranty repair process. It took a couple days but the GM rep, has given the service manager approval to rip open the engine.

There's two options at this point, rebuild and replacement. GM policy is to rebuild if something like a damaged bearing or rod that has been bent. They will replace if my block as been damaged. The warranty period also does not start over, no matter what has been decided to do.

Anyway I should have my car by the end of next week. It's been sorta stressing this week, for me to be without the old girl, but they did give me a fully loaded Tahoe to lug around in.

What I have learned....

1) Check my oil every two weeks. There were no leaks, so not sure how this happened.
2) I am going to ignore the maintenance minder and change the oil every 3000 miles. Considering we are in the year 2011, I wouldn't think I would have to follow 1960s era maintenance schedules, but here it is.

I want to thank 67 GTO, HDRS, Scrming and BaylorForce for providing me insane amount of information and support over the last week.
What was the mileage on your car when this happend.

Last edited by RS/4Life; 12-02-2011 at 08:21 PM.
RS/4Life is offline   Reply With Quote