View Single Post
Old 02-28-2024, 10:48 AM   #42
hesster

Drives: '10 C5 SS, '77 Bandit T/A
Worked the Deck Lid yesterday to see how bad it got roughed up in removing the Stripes.
The DL def was a little worse for wear since I was scrubbing the crap out of it with Scotch Brite and Mineral Spirits, and already had some surface scratch's.
After removing the Stripes, I noticed they left a witness mark after clinging to the Paint for 14 years, and you can clearly see where they were, esp on a Black Car. The vertical Part of the DL, however, looked really good already.
So decided WTH, sand it with 2000 grit and if I go too deep then repaint it. So hit it hard until I could see the stripe marks diminish, and you know when to stop when you break through the factory Orange Peel. At that point if any scratch's remain, then it get's touchy not to break into the BC.
In the pics, I show the half that was wet sanded, then buffed a number of passes with Meguiars Heavy Cut and a foam pad. Looked great and shiny in the sun, the last pic is a straight down shot, and it looks like a mirror and perfect reflection. Figured that would be all that was needed, and just final Buff it.

Wrong...
Took it into the Garage under the bank of 20000 lumens LED's and Oh Crap, got alot more work to do, cause there were many sand scratch's left.
Given that I will work it until it is either perfect, or Prime, BC, CC, and polish.
It has to be just right for that Dove Tail addition.
Attached Images

hesster is offline   Reply With Quote