Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 05-14-2024, 06:50 AM   #1107
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
You guys asking Mike about the most recent three cars he's owned have no idea. I'm convinced he uses serial car ownership as a money laundering scheme.

On a slightly more serious note, Mike came into town a couple weeks ago and took no prisoners. He beat all of CAM-C in an FS-legal Camaro, and that field included the 2nd-place finisher at Nationals last year! I was driving my FS Camaro in a completely different run group, so for once I got to watch Mike's runs. It was impressive! As Chief of Safety, I thought about disqualifying him for driving too fast, but that seemed like bad sportsmanship...
Old 05-14-2024, 08:40 AM   #1108
apexit53

Drives: 22 1SS 1LE Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Baron View Post
Ok wait, you got rid of the blue one and now in a white one?
LOL,

got rid of the blue 1le for a fl5 type r, didn't like that and got the mach 1, liked that but felt dirty :p sold that for the white 1le

I would have kept the mach 1 but as my suspicions were correct. the mach1 is great, looks good, sounds good. but its no 15k ish more of a car than a 1le
#53 F Street
2022 Sponsor autocrossdigits.com
Autocrossing Videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm-...3tiMt0KOg_2Aag
Instagram: apexit_53
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
2019 D Street national champion (2019 civic Type R)
apexit53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 08:46 AM   #1109
apexit53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
You guys asking Mike about the most recent three cars he's owned have no idea. I'm convinced he uses serial car ownership as a money laundering scheme.

On a slightly more serious note, Mike came into town a couple weeks ago and took no prisoners. He beat all of CAM-C in an FS-legal Camaro, and that field included the 2nd-place finisher at Nationals last year! I was driving my FS Camaro in a completely different run group, so for once I got to watch Mike's runs. It was impressive! As Chief of Safety, I thought about disqualifying him for driving too fast, but that seemed like bad sportsmanship...
babababbaba!!!!
#53 F Street
Autocrossing Videos
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
Old 05-14-2024, 10:30 AM   #1110
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit53 View Post
LOL,

got rid of the blue 1le for a fl5 type r, didn't like that and got the mach 1, liked that but felt dirty :p sold that for the white 1le

I would have kept the mach 1 but as my suspicions were correct. the mach1 is great, looks good, sounds good. but its no 15k ish more of a car than a 1le
Ok, and glad you came to your senses and sold the stang and got back into a 1le..lol
A friend did some selling once. He Had an orange zle, sold it and got a blue one as he liked the color. Then sold it and bought back the orange car. Later sold it and bought a 1le that he has kept. I couldn’t keep up..lol
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 01:14 PM   #1111
apexit53

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Baron View Post
Ok, and glad you came to your senses and sold the stang and got back into a 1le..lol
A friend did some selling once. He Had an orange zle, sold it and got a blue one as he liked the color. Then sold it and bought back the orange car. Later sold it and bought a 1le that he has kept. I couldn’t keep up..lol

sounds pretty close to me lol. honestly id still have my 2020 green 1le today if i wasnt trying to get a house at that time. in the end didnt need to sell it to get the house but it helped.
#53 F Street
Autocrossing Videos
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
Old 05-14-2024, 01:44 PM   #1112
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit53 View Post
sounds pretty close to me lol. honestly id still have my 2020 green 1le today if i wasnt trying to get a house at that time. in the end didnt need to sell it to get the house but it helped.
Yeah a house can change things for sure. And then as I do, have to poor money into it forever if you keep it. Like an old car..lol
Old 05-14-2024, 03:56 PM   #1113
rotis

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Got the external mic working with the GoPro again, so this video has decent audio-

Had some good parts, some bad parts. I've been tweaking on setup and finally have the car in a good place. I had just increased front rebound 1 click before this run and my turn-in timing was off, so you see quite a few double-moves. Was a great course, run was good enough for top pax.
rotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 02:31 PM   #1114
apexit53

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotis View Post
Got the external mic working with the GoPro again, so this video has decent audio-

Had some good parts, some bad parts. I've been tweaking on setup and finally have the car in a good place. I had just increased front rebound 1 click before this run and my turn-in timing was off, so you see quite a few double-moves. Was a great course, run was good enough for top pax.
OH NICE! What Mic did you get!
#53 F Street
Autocrossing Videos
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
Old 05-15-2024, 02:57 PM   #1115
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Just got one of these and a mic, it's usb so I got an extension that I hope works to get the mic near the back end. For placement I'll probably go with a dash mount. Has anyone tired a tow-hook mount? Might be too low for good perspective?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

@rotis, nice driving. I wish I was as tuned-in to feel one click on my adjusters! I still havan't had a good day to test them out properly. Are you willing to share your settings?
Old 05-16-2024, 12:20 PM   #1116
rotis

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
I'm using the GoPro external mic adapter. (note, this is a buggy POS and the camera needs to be powered on before plugging it in, otherwise you get no audio)

I don't want the adapter sitting outside the car, so I have it sitting in the back seat and connected to this USB extension cable- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

I have this cable running from the back seat through the trunk- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

Connected to this microphone- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Which is stuck inside this windsock- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

...and taped to the rear bumper. The adapter is also connected to power, so I don't have to worry about battery life or tuning off the camera between runs.

I never liked the damping on my (used) MCS 2WNR, so I just had them converted to 3W over the winter. I could tell you settings, but it wouldn't really mean anything. Math-wise I run nearly 80% critical damping rebound in front, ~65% critical in the rear. LS compression is around 50% critical, digressing to <30% at 8IPS all-around.

The team at MCS is great to work with, when having the dampers rebuilt/upgraded I requested dynos of full sweeps at 2-click intervals so I would have a good baseline. I already knew what I wanted the car to feel like, and I knew what it looked like on a dyno chart (based on experience) so it made it super easy to establish baseline settings.
rotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 08:40 AM   #1117
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotis View Post
I'm using the GoPro external mic adapter. (note, this is a buggy POS and the camera needs to be powered on before plugging it in, otherwise you get no audio)

I don't want the adapter sitting outside the car, so I have it sitting in the back seat and connected to this USB extension cable- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

I have this cable running from the back seat through the trunk- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

Connected to this microphone- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Which is stuck inside this windsock- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

...and taped to the rear bumper. The adapter is also connected to power, so I don't have to worry about battery life or tuning off the camera between runs.

I never liked the damping on my (used) MCS 2WNR, so I just had them converted to 3W over the winter. I could tell you settings, but it wouldn't really mean anything. Math-wise I run nearly 80% critical damping rebound in front, ~65% critical in the rear. LS compression is around 50% critical, digressing to <30% at 8IPS all-around.

The team at MCS is great to work with, when having the dampers rebuilt/upgraded I requested dynos of full sweeps at 2-click intervals so I would have a good baseline. I already knew what I wanted the car to feel like, and I knew what it looked like on a dyno chart (based on experience) so it made it super easy to establish baseline settings.
Nice upgrade! A local just got MCS RR3 and then bought a C6Z, now he's returning the Camaro to stock... and I just got RR2s! That's some unfortunate timing.

I can figure out approximately what your damping settings correspond to on my RR2s if I look at the charts and do a little math, that may be useful so thanks! Right now I have it set at 12 clicks on C and R from full soft up front (Hotchkis bar on medium) and 7 out back (ZLE bar on soft). I also tried 9 all around which is right in the middle with the ZLE bar on M too. I like that setting better out back and 12 up front... It'll just take some time to get a feel for the differences in damping.

On tires, Nankang just told Tire Rack they wouldn't be making the 335/30/18 CR-S on schedule and moved it out at least 3 months, but TBD. That's some crappy timing. However, the 295/35/18 REs just went down in price to $385, plus there's a $70 rebate and if you use the Cap1 shopping app, look at the tires and wait a day or two they'll send an offer for 10.5% "cash back", has to be used with their affiliates but that's not hard to do, it includes Lowes and at least one supermarket. So, about $1300 + tax. Not bad considering Yoks in 315/30/18 are over $500 each.
Old 05-17-2024, 10:33 AM   #1118
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
Nice upgrade! A local just got MCS RR3 and then bought a C6Z, now he's returning the Camaro to stock... and I just got RR2s! That's some unfortunate timing.

I can figure out approximately what your damping settings correspond to on my RR2s if I look at the charts and do a little math, that may be useful so thanks! Right now I have it set at 12 clicks on C and R from full soft up front (Hotchkis bar on medium) and 7 out back (ZLE bar on soft). I also tried 9 all around which is right in the middle with the ZLE bar on M too. I like that setting better out back and 12 up front... It'll just take some time to get a feel for the differences in damping.

On tires, Nankang just told Tire Rack they wouldn't be making the 335/30/18 CR-S on schedule and moved it out at least 3 months, but TBD. That's some crappy timing. However, the 295/35/18 REs just went down in price to $385, plus there's a $70 rebate and if you use the Cap1 shopping app, look at the tires and wait a day or two they'll send an offer for 10.5% "cash back", has to be used with their affiliates but that's not hard to do, it includes Lowes and at least one supermarket. So, about $1300 + tax. Not bad considering Yoks in 315/30/18 are over $500 each.

Dave

The fun of adjusting coilovers..lol friends and I went through the same thing on our fifth gens years ago. I had pedders double adjustables, friends had DSE and others brands. On all we were told to make big swings in adjustments to notice any real difference and that worked. And like you are finding, stiffer in front and middle in back then fine tune if needed. On street softer to middle was best. Stiffer on roadcourses.