Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-14-2024, 09:00 AM   #1
avenger79

Drives: 2020 Camaro LT1
think I got it

I think I have a combination that will work.

front 255/35/20 on 20x9 35 mm offset 27.02 tall
rear 295/30/20 on 20x10 35 mm offset 26.9 tall

any thoughts? any concerns? car is stock suspension.
avenger79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 02:20 PM   #2
Abubaca

Drives: 2016 SS
On the front, that 35mm offset is gonna sit the wheel more inboard about 10 to 15mm, depending on what wheel you had originally. LT1 is 20mm?, 23mm?? Not sure exactly, but you're going to be close on the INSIDE. Pretty darn close to where the 1LE tire sits, although you've got a shorter diameter, so that helps. Don't know when contact on the inside starts to happen, but you're getting close. You could use a spacer.

Out BACK, you're going to sit outside the rear quarter about 3mm more than the 1LE 305mm tire, and of course with a short diamter, shouldn't be an issue, though I can't speak to at what point contacting the lip of the qp becomes an issue. I just don't know, but it SEEMS safe.

Overall I admit I don't like it. Tire diameter is very short, from an appearance stand point. The front is gonna look weird pulled in closer to the center, and the rear is going to sit too far OUTSIDE. We all like a wide stance, but at some point it starts to look funny, and either way, the front and back won't match. You can fix the front with a spacer, but I hate to buy new wheels, only to use a spacer. Just my two cents, but....

What wheels are these? I've put a lot of wheels on a lot of cars, and I prefer to keep the offsets as close to stock as possible, keeping in mind that often the factory had a few different specs based on the trim level, etc. etc. As someone looking at wheels myself, I haven't found too many affordable, aftermarket wheels for our cars. Any premium wheel will likely be built for your car specifically, so the sky is the limit as far as specs. ....and lord knows between all the different wheels offered on 5th and 6th gens, there's no shortage of choice. Still....these options aren't for everyone, so I get it. I can pick out improperly fitted wheels in an instant. Can't tell you the specs, buy I can just "see" that they're not quite right. Your opinion may vary. One of my closest friends has a ton of money in his flawless 4th gen WS6, giant LS, tons of power, and the wheels sit out about an inch too far in my opinion. Kills it for me, but he LOVES it. To each his own!!!!
Abubaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 04:03 PM   #3
avenger79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abubaca View Post
On the front, that 35mm offset is gonna sit the wheel more inboard about 10 to 15mm, depending on what wheel you had originally. LT1 is 20mm?, 23mm?? Not sure exactly, but you're going to be close on the INSIDE. Pretty darn close to where the 1LE tire sits, although you've got a shorter diameter, so that helps. Don't know when contact on the inside starts to happen, but you're getting close. You could use a spacer.

Out BACK, you're going to sit outside the rear quarter about 3mm more than the 1LE 305mm tire, and of course with a short diamter, shouldn't be an issue, though I can't speak to at what point contacting the lip of the qp becomes an issue. I just don't know, but it SEEMS safe.

Overall I admit I don't like it. Tire diameter is very short, from an appearance stand point. The front is gonna look weird pulled in closer to the center, and the rear is going to sit too far OUTSIDE. We all like a wide stance, but at some point it starts to look funny, and either way, the front and back won't match. You can fix the front with a spacer, but I hate to buy new wheels, only to use a spacer. Just my two cents, but....

What wheels are these? I've put a lot of wheels on a lot of cars, and I prefer to keep the offsets as close to stock as possible, keeping in mind that often the factory had a few different specs based on the trim level, etc. etc. As someone looking at wheels myself, I haven't found too many affordable, aftermarket wheels for our cars. Any premium wheel will likely be built for your car specifically, so the sky is the limit as far as specs. ....and lord knows between all the different wheels offered on 5th and 6th gens, there's no shortage of choice. Still....these options aren't for everyone, so I get it. I can pick out improperly fitted wheels in an instant. Can't tell you the specs, buy I can just "see" that they're not quite right. Your opinion may vary. One of my closest friends has a ton of money in his flawless 4th gen WS6, giant LS, tons of power, and the wheels sit out about an inch too far in my opinion. Kills it for me, but he LOVES it. To each his own!!!!
yeah went out in the garage at lunch and put the wheel on just to be sure. Nope, won't fit. wheel actually hits the strut.

the wheels are mrr228. I ordered them from Amer Muscle. kind of disappointed, wish I would have come here first. I have never ordered parts that didn't fit before. These were their recommended sizes for the 6th gen. Now I get the nightmare of trying to wrap these things up and send them back.

I will have to get a different wheel for the front.

Will just go with stock SS sizing on 20x10 with 34 and 20x9 with 23 offset. not exactly what I was wanting but not wanting more headaches either.

thanks for the input.
Old 05-14-2024, 08:37 PM   #4
Abubaca

So I've been going over the math. I can't see how your wheel hits the strut. You have a 9 inch wheel. 1LE is 10. Given the same offset (it's not, but bare with me)...given the same offset, the 1LE has half an inch on each side. Outside we don't care. Inside means the 1LE wheel is half an inch closer to the strut. Half inch, so call it 12.5mm closer.

.....BUT.....they're NOT the same offset. 1LE is 20mm. Your wheel is 35. That means YOUR wheel has to come in by the difference. 35mm - 20mm is 15mm closer. Your wheel would now mount 2.5mm FARTHER inside(12.5 - 15=2.5).

So even if your wheel mounted PERFECTLY.....with NO space between the wheel and strut, fully torqued and mounted, that would mean the 1LE is only 2.5mm from the strut. There's no way. I'm inclined to believe my math is off, but I can't see how or where.

...and if your WHEEL is hitting....without the tire...I mean something doesn't make sense. Stupid question, but you didn't put the REAR 10" wheel on the FRONT did you?!?!?! ...THAT would add an ADDITIONAL half inch....and I could totally see that hitting.
Old 05-14-2024, 08:47 PM   #5
Abubaca

This is what the comparison looks like. 1LE in Green. Your wheel in pink. Dotted lines are the wheel center lines and tires. Black line is the mounting face of the hub. I'd say the drawing is accurate to a MM or two. ...but of course, only as accurate as me inputing the drawing, so I could have made a mistake. Still, if my math is wrong, I really would like someone to point it out. The wheel shouldn't hit.
Attached Images

Old 05-15-2024, 07:10 AM   #6
avenger79

LOL so funny you made that post. I did all of the same math myself and came up with "yep should fit". spent all morning making exactly the same comparisons in my head and on a simulator. than decided to go out and physically try it again yesterday at lunch.

luckily I did try it. not sure how or why but it doesn't fit at all.

yep I even considered I might have the wrong tire. nope I did them right.
Old 05-15-2024, 07:15 AM   #7
Abubaca

Well let me know what you find out!!!!
Old 05-19-2024, 06:30 AM   #8
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
On the front wheel, a stock 1LE wheel is 10" et20 and therefore has 6.29" backspace. The wheel the OP bought is 9" et35 and therefore has 6.38" backspace. The new wheel only sits 0.09" further inboard (or 2.286mm further inboard), and it should clear everything just fine if its specs are accurate. I've mounted a 19x10 et23 on my 1LE, which has 6.41" backspacing and 1" less diameter and it still doesn't hit anything, and that's with MRC dampers. There's no way the OP's wheels should be hitting anything. At 27.02" tall, those front tires are actually 0.2" taller than a stock 1LE tire, but I don't think they are taller than the stock 1LT tire. They are also 30mm narrower in section width. They shouldn't hit anything. I suggest looking on the back of the MRR wheel to verify that it does in fact say it's a 20x9 with 35mm offset. If it does, then measure the actual backspacing of the wheels you have. Just lay a straightedge across the inside rim edge and measure down to the mounting surface.

The rear wheels will sit 0.19" further inboard than a stock 1LE wheel at the outside edges. However, the rear 295/30/20 tires are only 10mm narrower (but about 0/2" shorter) than a stock 1LE tire. They still should fit okay without hitting the outside fender edges on bumps.
Old 05-20-2024, 12:24 AM   #9
White1SS

Drives: White 2024 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abubaca View Post
So I've been going over the math. I can't see how your wheel hits the strut. You have a 9 inch wheel. 1LE is 10. Given the same offset (it's not, but bare with me)...given the same offset, the 1LE has half an inch on each side. Outside we don't care. Inside means the 1LE wheel is half an inch closer to the strut. Half inch, so call it 12.5mm closer.

.....BUT.....they're NOT the same offset. 1LE is 20mm. Your wheel is 35. That means YOUR wheel has to come in by the difference. 35mm - 20mm is 15mm closer. Your wheel would now mount 2.5mm FARTHER inside(12.5 - 15=2.5).

So even if your wheel mounted PERFECTLY.....with NO space between the wheel and strut, fully torqued and mounted, that would mean the 1LE is only 2.5mm from the strut. There's no way. I'm inclined to believe my math is off, but I can't see how or where.

...and if your WHEEL is hitting....without the tire...I mean something doesn't make sense. Stupid question, but you didn't put the REAR 10" wheel on the FRONT did you?!?!?! ...THAT would add an ADDITIONAL half inch....and I could totally see that hitting.

Even more confounding is that the popular 1LE replica rim by MRR is 10x20+23, which is 1/32" closer to the strut than his 9x20+35 rim, and the forum is full of guys running those with no issue.

I have a 24 SS with factory 245/40/20 fronts on the factory 8.5" +25 rim, and I can barely fit my pinky between the rim and the strut. I don't know how a 10" front rim works on these cars with an offset more than +15 or so.
White1SS is offline   Reply With Quote