Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-18-2011, 10:52 AM   #1
Prospective Buyer

Drives: Acura TL Acura MDX
So washing....

Is using a pressure washer really bad? I read online a few places that the high pressure will push the dirt into the paint. I hope that is just What do you think, use my pressure washer? Or continue with the crappy foam gun I have.
Prospective Buyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:11 AM   #2
bigwayne3000

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
I would say you're good to go. People use fire hose nozzles all the time and while Im sure it doesnt have the same psi as a pressure washer, its still pretty powerful. Just dont get too close to the car with it and you should be fine.
bigwayne3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:13 AM   #3
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
You can use it, but I'd be careful. Too high of a pressure and you could turn a small rock chip into a quarter sized eye sore.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:15 AM   #4
Prospective Buyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
You can use it, but I'd be careful. Too high of a pressure and you could turn a small rock chip into a quarter sized eye sore.
That would suck...especially dealing with other people's cars.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:30 AM   #5
BigCarrot
xbox: this is tedious

Drives: 2011 1SS M6 Camaro IOM
If you use a pressure washer make sure it's far away from the paint. I'd check out a detailer forum to get more exact answers.
Seems like just yesterday I spent $450 for a Roto Fab CAI!!! What the hell happened.
BigCarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:55 AM   #6
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
and STAY AWAY FROM THE VYNIL STRIPES!!!
Old 07-18-2011, 11:59 AM   #7
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Why do you want to use a pressure washer? A hose is all you need.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:04 PM   #8
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
this
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:31 PM   #9
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Theres nothing wrong with using a pressure washer, assuming you're using a broad fan tip, an outlet pressure no higher than 2000psi, and keeping it a reasonable distance from the paint.

The benefits are debatable, I think a lot of people assume that a pw is needed b/c they see mobile detailers using them, but the truth is thats more b/c they're working without water pressure and need something (besides gravity) to generate water flow.

I rarely use a pressure washer for JUST washing... the only times I drag mine out is if I need to do some serious cleaning of an undercarriage (see my F350 writeup) and then since I have it out already I'll use it to wash as well.

Generally I find pulling out, hooking up, and integrating a pressure washer to be more of a pain than its worth for just average cleaning. Just another thing to have to setup, then clean, then pack up and put away.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:54 PM   #10
Tecca

Drives: ...
I agree with Dylan. However I primarily use a pressure washer. If you use it don't use the pencil or high blast wand, keep a minimum of 12 inches from the paint and hold the wand at 45 degree's.

My main reason though on using a pressure washer is so I can use I long dwelling foram with my foam lance. So while the foam is dwelling I have enough time to pack it up, through my rinse nozzle on and get my 2x4 bucket setup together. Some say it might be overkill however a simple soft glide over the paint and a quick rinse and I am done.
Tecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:46 PM   #11
Prospective Buyer

I felt like I should use it just because it's been sitting in my basement.....

I will continue to use my hose and foam gun. Thanks guys and plus buying gas for the washer is one less expense I need to worry about now!
Old 07-18-2011, 01:49 PM   #12
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
+1
Old 07-18-2011, 01:51 PM   #13
scuba264

Drives: Manual 2011 CGM LS
I have a small one, something like 1500 psi and it works great, would never go back to a regular hose. I originally picked it up because my old place had terrible water pressure.

Just be sure to keep it on a fanned out spray and if you have pinstripes STAY FAR AWAY when you spray past them. My old G6 had them and when I first started using it was was too close and I tore them in a tiny spot or two.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:54 PM   #14
Rawcamaro

Drives: 2012 camaro in my dreams
I wash my car with a 2600 psi honda pressure washer. I use a professional foam lance and the 40 degree spray nozzle and it work fine. it doesnt push the dirt into the paint. it actually blasts the dirt off and it is very easy to remove to brake dust from the rims. there is virtually no chance of getting swirl marks on the paint because nothing but water touches the car.
Rawcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote