Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 05-11-2014, 08:24 PM   #1
LogicFan

Drives: N/A
What do you do?

I'm only in high school and constantly thinking about what I want to do. I have no clue. Car designer sounds good but I can't draw at all. I want to make good money but still like it, so what do you do and do you like it?
LogicFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:36 PM   #2
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicFan View Post
I'm only in high school and constantly thinking about what I want to do. I have no clue. Car designer sounds good but I can't draw at all. I want to make good money but still like it, so what do you do and do you like it?
I'm a Chief Engineer in the heavy truck industry.

If you want to design/style cars check out the Center for Creative Studies. They teach that art form.

However if you want to solve the engineering problems with making those great looking cars actually work, then check out engineering schools.

There are many career choices in the automotive industry that don't require as much college but if you want to determine the answer those are two to check out.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:47 PM   #3
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I'm about your age and I've loved cars ever since a young age. And as soon as I got my own car, I loved tinkering with it even more. I carried my love for mechanics and hands on work into a career and swore into the U.S. Air Force as an aircraft mechanic a couple weeks ago.

The point is, try to find a career doing something you love to do. I'd rather live 10 years doing something I love and have a passion for, than living 100 years doing something I hate. Designing cars isn't just about drawing. There's computer models, clay models, etc. You may want to explore those options as well.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:47 PM   #4
kream88

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 1SS RS
Run and manage the family business. Own a little bit of everything, garage, storage facility, laundromat, uhaul.
kream88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:53 PM   #5
LogicFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
I'm about your age and I've loved cars ever since a young age. And as soon as I got my own car, I loved tinkering with it even more. I carried my love for mechanics and hands on work into a career and swore into the U.S. Air Force as an aircraft mechanic a couple weeks ago.

The point is, try to find a career doing something you love to do. I'd rather live 10 years doing something I love and have a passion for, than living 100 years doing something I hate. Designing cars isn't just about drawing. There's computer models, clay models, etc. You may want to explore those options as well.

Yeah I've been trying now for a while and I know about the clay and computer models. I also know its one of the most competitive fields to so not being able to draw good could be a issue and my dad wants me to join the air force.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:28 PM   #6
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
I do tech support and customer service for military and first responder robotic EOD systems.

I'd love to be in the auto restoration business. But that's a pipe dream.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:31 PM   #7
kream88

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 1SS RS
I did however goto school for drafting and graduate with my mechanical engineering degree. I do plan on going back for business degree since I kinda got thrown in to taking over the family business.
kream88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:36 PM   #8
shank0668

Drives: '14 LML/'06 LJ/'76 Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicFan View Post
Money is only so important. You have to enjoy what you are doing too. Try to find the right balance. I'm about your age too and work in a washbay at a GM dealership. This is certainly not what I want to do. After High School I plan to go to college for mechanical engineering. I have always enjoyed working on my vehicles and making stuff for them.
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:37 PM   #9
batman53201
Account not blocked

Drives: The Batmobile
I fight villains
Old 05-11-2014, 09:58 PM   #10
Rico
Flying da helicopter

Drives: Black SS/RS
I fly the apache helicopter in the army......it has it's ups and downs ��
Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 12:22 AM   #11
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
State agricultural/dairy inspector.

Not exactly what I pictured myself doing, but I'm pretty happy.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:03 AM   #12
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
go to college explore different subjects..put a degree in your portfolio . im an army officer it has a wide variety of opportunities, but its not for everyone.
ssrs2lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:33 AM   #13
kevint

Drives: 2013 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by shank0668 View Post
Money is only so important. You have to enjoy what you are doing too. Try to find the right balance. I'm about your age too and work in a washbay at a GM dealership. This is certainly not what I want to do. After High School I plan to go to college for mechanical engineering. I have always enjoyed working on my vehicles and making stuff for them.
Bear in mind that when you start down the engineering path in school, you won't learn to design stuff for quite a while. However, you WILL get to use all that math, so pay attention. If you can't handle foreign accents, you're gunna have a bad time.
kevint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:01 AM   #14
LogicFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico View Post
I fly the apache helicopter in the army......it has it's ups and downs ��
I'm to tall to fly jets and that sounded really cool, but never really felt like flying a helicopter.