Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-28-2010, 10:18 AM   #1
2010 Bumblebee

Drives: Transformers Edition Camaro 2SS/RS
Did your car come with any paint defects? Lets find the commonality.

I just had a thought about the paint defects that some of us have.

Maybe there is a certain time period , color, or area of the car commonality.

When was your car made? or what day, month and year would be better?

Mine was made on 11/4/2009

What color is your car ?

Mine is yellow.

Where are the paint defects?

My defects are on both quarter panels and in the drivers door jam.

What are the paint defects?

It looks like dirt, metal, dust under the yellow coat on one side and the same in the clear coat in the other side. Also some clump of something I just pulled off inside the door jam.

Northern Massachusetts & Southern New Hampshire Camaro Club
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/group.php?groupid=127

The mother of all supercharger questions thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77958

My 2010 Camaro Review
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2025442#post2025442

2010 Transformer Edition Camaro L99 Auto
2010 Bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:23 AM   #2
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
6/29/2009 took delivery. IOM. Thumb print in the clear coat on the front fascia.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:32 AM   #3
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
Manufactured 12/2009.

Summit White

Rear bumper isn't the same shade as the rest of the car.
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:46 AM   #4
SHA

Drives: 08 Vette, 07 Siverado, Camaro
my paint is ok but I had circle marks that I thought was from a buffer. My dealer found writing on top of the left rear fender that directed someone to fix a spot on the door. In short it appeared a grease pencil was used to mark imperfections. Bought the car last July and didn't notice this until 2010. You have to be at an angle out of bright sunlight to see the marks. Dealer had it wet sanded and, for the present, the marks are gone.
SHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:27 AM   #5
RedJewel2SS
12.23s@113mph

Drives: 2SS/RS, A6, just a few bolt ons
built mid July 2009, RJT paint, 2 "fish-eyes" in passenger side rear quarter section

RIP Cammie 7/15/2009 - 4/1/2011
RedJewel2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:41 PM   #6
camarowa

Drives: 2013 SVT Raptor, sold 2010 Camaro
built mid may 09, one fish eye on trunk lid
- Blacked-Out Bowties & RS Emblems, Front bowtie delete
- Full Dynamat Extreme Trunk Coverage
- Tinted side markers
- Interior DSV Customs Leather Upgrades
- Airaid CAI V2
- Forgestar F14 Gunmetal 20x9, 20x11
- Doug Thorley Shorties
camarowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:48 PM   #7
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
IOM and absolutely perfect paint job, mine was built July 2009.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:36 PM   #8
Swytch

Drives: 10 2SS/RS Black, 99 Daktota

TPW was 5/10/10 Got the VIN on 5/8 so sometime right around there.

What color is your car ?

Black

Chipped paint right up against the driver side edge of the spoiler on the trunk.

Also, as others have noticed, seems to scratch super easy with cheap micro-fibers and those sponges that come with car wax (I.E. VIP, Wal-Mart, Autozone, etc) Got some stuff on the way to take care of that though (yay Adams microfibers!), cant fault Chevy for my cheapness :P

It looks like paint flaked off right down to the metal in just this one little spot. Almost under the rear spoiler. I took it into the paint-shop at my dealer and they thought the spoiler was installed incorrectly, something about some 3m tape that should have prevented this, they also mentioned it might have been over-tightened. All fixed under warranty, haven't gotten the car back yet, but they had to spot paint, too deep for touch up apparently.
Kooks Signature Series Headers 1-3/4 stepped to 1 7/8, Kooks 3" High Flow Cats, Vararam OTR Cold Air Intake, JRE Performance Tune, RX Catch Can, RX Oil Breather, LSR Tri-Ax short throw shifter, AAC Red/White Halos and Fog Rings, AAC Knight Rider Scanner Bar

Swytch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:41 PM   #9
Mombasa2k3

Drives: 2010 Red Jewel Tintcoat 1LT Camaro
manufactured 10/09

Red Jewel Tintcoat

my camaro had what looked like some paint overspray from the factory. It was to the left of the trunk near the left rear quarter panel.

on my car's 2nd trip to the body shop after getting hit by a rock on the door (damn kids...) i had them remove all the scratches from the rest of the car and they did and were able to buff the paint imperfections out. After the 3rd time i went to the body shop after i got hit again... my car is as good as new .

The imperfections at the start were just white paint overspray i'm guessing from when my car was at the factory it's gone now so i don't have to worry about it.

Future Mods: 3.73 Gears
Mombasa2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:30 PM   #10
Capthowdy

Drives: 2010 2SS RS IOM
Send a message via Yahoo to Capthowdy
mine was built on 5/10 got her 6/25 small chip on outside drivers door and bad orange peel on pass side bumper valance also halo on pass side dimmer than drivers side? looks like someting poss happend on the pass side front? poss hit or something for the peel and halo problem on the same side....
Capthowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:15 PM   #11
bmclark

Drives: 2016 HBM 1LT Auto V6

12/09

What color is your car ?

Black

My defects are on both sides gills and front fascia. Also on Passenger A Pillar

Many many many many paint chips on gills and a couple on front fascia. Dirt under clear coat on A pillar

New one: 2016 HBM 1LT Auto V6

Old one: 2013 IOM 1LT Auto w/ 19" Polished Aluminum wheels
2010 Black on Black 1LT Auto w/ Convenience & Connectivity package and Sunroof
1995 Silver V6 5 speed w/ T-Tops, Z28 wheels and Borla Exhaust
bmclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:21 PM   #12
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 Bumblebee View Post

Maybe there is a certain time period , color, or area of the car commonality.
Mine will mostly be nitpicks.

Quote:
I have the build sheet. Built on 9/2/2009

Quote:
What color is your car ?
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Quote:
Also adding what the defect is.

Major issue: My car needs to be taken in for the peeling on the rear bumper fascia. It is in the seam on both sides and not as noticable now when it first happened, but this is the only reason I marked the paint down on the JD power and associates survey.

Nitpick: Drips of tintcoat on the passenger side door sill. Solved by applying the transformers door sill plate over it.

Nitpick: Fish eye on passenger side quarter panel. Fish eye on roof.

Nitpick: Strange Splotch, perhaps some debris painted over on drivers side trunk drain area. I could get a picture if you wanted.

Nitpick: Drips of tintcoat inside of the car, only visible if you take the back seats out. Found this while doing my dent repair. Did not find drips of ABM on fellow members car under seat.

What they did right: Color is awesome, matches everywhere on the car, mirrors, doors, trunk, front and rear bumper. Does not have the chipping problem, and held up very well during the winter. This far outweighs any nitpicks, and even my only legit complaint that will be covered under warranty.

Something else I noticed: I got my first scratch near the back window (how I got it there I don't know). I used quixx to buff it, and I did pick up some red on the cloth. Since this time has passed, and I've buffed other scratches with Quixx I have not picked up any red paint.

Maybe there is some truth in letting the paint cure for a month when it leaves the factory. I did leave the car alone, and applied no wax, or sealant until October.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:39 AM   #13
mercedestech

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM,2013 Mercedes ML350
IOM

build date: 10/09

*Dirt in the clearcoat on roof, hood, front bumper, rear quarters
*fish eyes on both rear quarters (1 on each side)
*clearcoat drips on the front bottom edge of both doors that can only be seen when the vehicle is on a lift
*black spot in color coat on the top of the right quarter panel
My dealer fixed everything but the one little spot in the color coat by wet sanding and buffing the entire vehicle...only took them 1 day...and they gave me a Camaro for a loaner! It looks near perfect now! Great Job by Spitzer of North Canton, Ohio (Thanks Joe!)
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Whipple 2.9L, Rotofab CAI and coil covers, XS Power LT's and full 3" exhaust, Vengeance kaotic cam package (trunion kit,dual springs,titanium retainers,hardened pushrods,c5r chain,ls2 tensioner, melling oil pump) Mgw shifter, 160 deg Tstat, prosport gauges, LPE dual pump, FIC 60lb injectors, level 5 DSS Axles

1994 Z28 MSD optispark, K&N CAI, Magnaflow y pipe..Cat..and cat back. 1998 wheels, custom tune(sold )
1993 Base V6 sold to buy Z28
1994 Purple Pearl V6...sold
1979 Base Car with inline 250ci 6 cyl! My first car in 1989!
mercedestech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 07:04 PM   #14
BICHN CAMARO

Drives: without a license: ss 6m
I have been collecting paint thickness data (measured in MILS) and it seems all lot of these camaros I have tested or been reported to me have enough MILS to indicate they have gone through the painting process twice. 4 to 5 mils is normal for a factory paint job. All the ones I have tested (inc. mine) have 8+ mils. If you have a lot of issues like dirt or uneven orange peel have it mil tested. It will tell you if it has been repainted before you bought it. Now depending on where it was repainted that could explain a quality issue. If a car comes off of the paint line and does not meet GM quality they can either sand it and send it back through or have it touched up or repainted "off line" by a human. My guess is those of you with paint quality issues have cars that were touched up or repainted off line. Another owner just had a PPG REP mil test his car and that is his opinion also. So have it tested!!!
and they all ride the bus!

Dead Milkmen
BICHN CAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote