Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-04-2011, 07:34 AM   #1
oakaro68

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28
Talking HP Tuners scanning after Magnuson S/C install

First off, I'd like to thank Jannetty Racing for giving me a good deal on a Magnuson s/c with their own *free* custom tune. Other companies I called would tell me they won't tune for long tubes or I would have to mail in my ECU (lame) for them to give it their special tune. Jannetty Racing EMAILS you a FREE custom tune and responds quickly to any questions you may have. I've been tuning the car with HP Tuners before, but will leave the forced induction tuning to the pros. I think JRE knows what they're doing

So, this post is a very general observation of a few tables in HP Tuners Scanner while driving to work this morning, mostly for my entertainment.

Outside temp: 48F
Engine temp:190F

The kit relocated my IAT (intake air temp) sensor FROM right behind the air box TO inside of the s/c so it's reading intake temps (more than likely) before it's compressed **could be wrong**. I expected the air temps to be higher than ambient, but that was only the case by MAYBE 1 or 2 degrees. Sometimes it would read ambient temps (same as outside temp). After about 5ish seconds of being in boost (aggressive part throttle) the temps went up from 48 to 61 degrees. Again I'm not sure where the IAT is pulling this reading, but I'd like to find out.

The spark table was reading much lower than normal n/a (naturally aspirated) timing which was what I expected. At low rpm (around 2,000) full throttle, the timing was only 11 - 15 degrees, and up to 6,000 rpm I was only running around 15 - 18 degrees on average. Huge difference from what the n/a tune was. We tuned the LS1 in the Trans Am to run around 30+ degrees, n/a of course. I get it, more cylinder pressure = less timing. This is just a general observation because I enjoy this stuff.

Another thing to note was the Cylinder Airmass measured in g/cyl went from (before s/c install) .82 - .86 g/cyl (rough peak average) to 1.16 g/cyl (rough peak average)! For a quick referrence, adding Kooks long tube headers 1 7/8" primaries gave me about .4 g/cyl more air flow so jumping from .86 to 1.16 is a huge improvement.

Could anyone chime in on where the IAT sensor is pulling it's reading (before or after being compressed)?

First and only time to the track in my Camaro I ran 13.004 @ 111mph, can't wait to see what it does now
oakaro68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:36 AM   #2
Padre
Only drives on Sundays

Drives: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC NGray
HP Tuners is fun.

You are 13* above ambient, which is similar to my experience with both the IAT at the MAF and at the filter (I'm NA). Mine is usually about 9* above ambient, which comes from engine bay heat.

But I'm sure Jannetty will chime in on where the IAT sensor is. I don't see why it wouldn't be after compression.

But if you're at 13* above ambient, that's great. You need to test it now for heat soak (staging lanes, back to back passes, all that). That'll be key for consistent racing.

Good luck with your new toy!

Padre

OLD HOTNESS: The "Heretic": '11 2SS/RS L99 A6 Black/Inferno. Build Journal, Videos
D1SC GT9 JBA-LT = 720/680 | 10.330 @ 133.61, 1.546 sixty... Camaro King at ECS V, Darlington.
NEW HOTNESS: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC. Bone Stock, 1/8th: 8.051 @ 89.44, 1.919
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:56 AM   #3
oakaro68

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28
thanks padre! when i go to the track next i'll take the computer with me to see what's going on
oakaro68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hp tuners, jannetty, magnuson, oakaro68, supercharger