Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-08-2022, 01:37 PM   #1
bure

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Rust Protection

Looking for a good rust protection system for the ZL1. I live in southeastern Michigan and the car will never see rain or snow, but I will have to deal with humidity. I purchased the car from the owner who lived in California, and the underside and engine bay looks like it just rolled of the assembly line, and want to keep it that way. I've heard Krown is pretty good, but I know there has to be more choices out there. If anyone could speak from personal experience, that would be great, or knows someone who has used a particular product/company.
bure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 01:46 PM   #2
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by bure View Post
Looking for a good rust protection system for the ZL1. I live in southeastern Michigan and the car will never see rain or snow, but I will have to deal with humidity. I purchased the car from the owner who lived in California, and the underside and engine bay looks like it just rolled of the assembly line, and want to keep it that way. I've heard Krown is pretty good, but I know there has to be more choices out there. If anyone could speak from personal experience, that would be great, or knows someone who has used a particular product/company.
My car has been in Michigan since shipped from Canada, I am the original owner and it looks just like it rolled from the factory. Garage keep and covered, not sure what humidity you are worried about unless it’s being kept outside. By the way they have plenty of humidity in California, remember it’s next to the pacific and when it’s in the air it has salt.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 02:01 PM   #3
bure

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
My car has been in Michigan since shipped from Canada, I am the original owner and it looks just like it rolled from the factory. Garage keep and covered, not sure what humidity you are worried about unless it’s being kept outside. By the way they have plenty of humidity in California, remember it’s next to the pacific and when it’s in the air it has salt.

It is garaged, although it is detached and not insulated, yet. Original owner lived in the Eastern most part of California state line. Why kind of car cover are you using? I'm looking for one, but I don't want one of the tight fitting ones. I'd like something that just drapes over it with no elasticity at all. I don't care about it "form fitting".
bure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 07:53 PM   #4
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by bure View Post
It is garaged, although it is detached and not insulated, yet. Original owner lived in the Eastern most part of California state line. Why kind of car cover are you using? I'm looking for one, but I don't want one of the tight fitting ones. I'd like something that just drapes over it with no elasticity at all. I don't care about it "form fitting".
Coverking black w ZL1 shadows in fabric. It is a spandex fit using Lycra and the only way to go after using it for 10 years as it won’t scratch the car if you follow simple rules. Never put it on unless you wipe the car down. Mine gets wiped with a no wash car wash after every drive as I pour a capful in a bucket before I leave and at a min wipe the four qtr panels to get the brake dust off. I wash the cover when it gets to much residue from the tire shine. If it’s been a while since I have driven it or the garage door has been left open for a while I just blow it off with a leaf blower before removing. If you aren’t willing to do these minimum’s I would consider not covering. The key to great paint is quit touching it, the less you have to the better it will last and you won’t have to keep doing paint corrections to get rid of micro scratches.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 08:22 PM   #5
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
Coverking black w ZL1 shadows in fabric. It is a spandex fit using Lycra and the only way to go after using it for 10 years as it won’t scratch the car if you follow simple rules. Never put it on unless you wipe the car down. Mine gets wiped with a no wash car wash after every drive as I pour a capful in a bucket before I leave and at a min wipe the four qtr panels to get the brake dust off. I wash the cover when it gets to much residue from the tire shine. If it’s been a while since I have driven it or the garage door has been left open for a while I just blow it off with a leaf blower before removing. If you aren’t willing to do these minimum’s I would consider not covering. The key to great paint is quit touching it, the less you have to the better it will last and you won’t have to keep doing paint corrections to get rid of micro scratches.
+1
Old 10-08-2022, 08:56 PM   #6
Dega Man

Drives: ZL1
If you are concerned about moisture and humidity, make sure you get a breathable cover so that you will not trap moisture and humidity, but if you are keeping your car on the inside even if it's not insulated you are protected from the harsh outside environment and the car is very well coated from the factory for anti-corrosion and rust as long as you are not driving in the salt and leaving it on the car.

Last edited by Dega Man; 10-08-2022 at 09:42 PM.
Dega Man is offline   Reply With Quote