#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 04-15-2018, 08:51 PM   #57
mdmoore23

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
Stick with your GYs will the rest of the world runs on Michelins. Whatever makes you happy.
Stick with the superior tire? Yep, that sounds good to me.
mdmoore23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 10:44 PM   #58
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmoore23 View Post
Stick with the superior tire? Yep, that sounds good to me.
Name a few high performance cars with GY from the factory. Educate me. Any car anywhere from 2015 on. Any.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:46 AM   #59
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
Name a few high performance cars with GY from the factory. Educate me. Any car anywhere from 2015 on. Any.
If this specific model tire wasn’t specifically designed for this car in conjunction with gm, maybe, just maybe that would make any sense. This tire isn’t comparable to the rest of GYs lineup
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:45 AM   #60
RedHot18

Drives: 2018 ZL1
I'm on my second set of OE Goodyears and I've been very happy with them. I go to the track (road course) at least once a month and they have been good. I got 6000 out of rears and almost made it to 7000 for the fronts. For the amount of abuse Sebring dishes out I'm good with these tires for being all purpose and not bad on a track
RedHot18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:09 AM   #61
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
The ZL1 in normal and 1LE variants posts some of the best tested times in the world, and people are on here trashing the tires used for those accomplishments. This makes no sense to me. I've owned some awesome cars over the years and have absolutely no reason to dislike these tires. And people continuously citing were weather performance need to understand that this is a track oriented street tire. Wet weather performance is always going to suffer a bit, in a tradeoff for dry traction. This is nothing new.
The point is, overall the competitive Michelin tire to the G2, G3 F1 GY tire , the PS4S is better , as is the cup 2 over the R spec GY. Goodyear is a good tire, Michelin is just better.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:14 AM   #62
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by lt4camaro View Post
The point is, overall the competitive Michelin tire to the G2, G3 F1 GY tire , the PS4S is better , as is the cup 2 over the R spec GY. Goodyear is a good tire, Michelin is just better.
Take that PS4S up to temp on a track...it'll get greasy before the G3s do, especially under a heavier car like the Camaro.

The Cup2 is good. It will give you a few hero laps or in the beginning of a session (which is appealing to manufacturers and magazines that do two laps then garage the car). But they will degrade steadily as the day goes on due to heat - the 3R does not have this characteristic, and sticks just as well. The Cup2 is established, and rightfully so...but the 3R is brand new. That all said - I would HAPPILY pay $450 less per set...for the same, or better performance.

Sorry - not drinking the Michelin cool-aid, here...they're certainly great tires ...but I do not think they are better than the Goodyears we get on the Camaro FOR THE TRACK....on the street? Perhaps Michelin has a better offering, though I wouldn't consider the Cup2 over the 3R for the street/rain - they both suck.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:25 AM   #63
lt4camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Take that PS4S up to temp on a track...it'll get greasy before the G3s do, especially under a heavier car like the Camaro.

The Cup2 is good. It will give you a few hero laps or in the beginning of a session (which is appealing to manufacturers and magazines that do two laps then garage the car). But they will degrade steadily as the day goes on due to heat - the 3R does not have this characteristic, and sticks just as well. The Cup2 is established, and rightfully so...but the 3R is brand new. That all said - I would HAPPILY pay $450 less per set...for the same, or better performance.

Sorry - not drinking the Michelin cool-aid, here...they're certainly great tires ...but I do not think they are better than the Goodyears we get on the Camaro FOR THE TRACK....on the street? Perhaps Michelin has a better offering, though I wouldn't consider the Cup2 over the 3R for the street/rain - they both suck.
And that why I said overall. Most of the mileage for most people is on the street, not the track. This is where the Michelin wins, better dry grip when warm and quieter than GY's
Old 04-16-2018, 11:46 AM   #64
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
As a Z07 owner, I think the hate for the Cup 2 is massively over-hyped. Drive around for a 10+ minutes on a warm/hot summer day and they'll be sticky enough to handle back road carving and traction down low extremely well. The 2 hero lap is pretty stupid too because that's true for pretty much any tire. To say that any tire has as much grip on lap 30 as it does at lap 1 or 2 is ridiculous. The Cup 2 is still likely the most aggressive factory tire put on a car. Goodyear is not on the level of Michelin in tire making at any level. Not saying that the Goodyears are bad, because they're not. The 3R and G3 are both extremely good tires once heated up. But Michelin builds tires that handle street at cool temps and the track very well. They also build tires that handle the track at the top level and still are manageable on the street. The MPSS/Cup 2 are the tire of choice for dozens of OEM cars for a reason.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 12:19 PM   #65
lt4camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
As a Z07 owner, I think the hate for the Cup 2 is massively over-hyped. Drive around for a 10+ minutes on a warm/hot summer day and they'll be sticky enough to handle back road carving and traction down low extremely well. The 2 hero lap is pretty stupid too because that's true for pretty much any tire. To say that any tire has as much grip on lap 30 as it does at lap 1 or 2 is ridiculous. The Cup 2 is still likely the most aggressive factory tire put on a car. Goodyear is not on the level of Michelin in tire making at any level. Not saying that the Goodyears are bad, because they're not. The 3R and G3 are both extremely good tires once heated up. But Michelin builds tires that handle street at cool temps and the track very well. They also build tires that handle the track at the top level and still are manageable on the street. The MPSS/Cup 2 are the tire of choice for dozens of OEM cars for a reason.
Absolutely, the MPSS and PS4S and the Cup 2 tires are the OE choice for some great domestic cars as well as foreign . Next popular are Continental contact's, just don't see much using GY.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:51 PM   #66
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
The ZL1 in normal and 1LE variants posts some of the best tested times in the world, and people are on here trashing the tires used for those accomplishments. This makes no sense to me. I've owned some awesome cars over the years and have absolutely no reason to dislike these tires. And people continuously citing were weather performance need to understand that this is a track oriented street tire. Wet weather performance is always going to suffer a bit, in a tradeoff for dry traction. This is nothing new.
If you don't really use the tires in the capacity they're designed for, you're essentially wasting the tire anyways. I really don't autocross/road race all that much, where a tire like the GY3 is going to be a benefit.

I do however street the absolute crap out of my car and that's where most of my driving is done. The Michelin is the superior tire in that regard for what I do.

Truthfully, I'd say take the factory rims/GY3's off...buy an aftermarket rim set and some PS4S for the street and you get the best of both...
Old 04-16-2018, 03:06 PM   #67
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post
If you don't really use the tires in the capacity they're designed for, you're essentially wasting the tire anyways. I really don't autocross/road race all that much, where a tire like the GY3 is going to be a benefit.

I do however street the absolute crap out of my car and that's where most of my driving is done. The Michelin is the superior tire in that regard for what I do.

Truthfully, I'd say take the factory rims/GY3's off...buy an aftermarket rim set and some PS4S for the street and you get the best of both...

I’m a believer in these 3Rs on track. The consistency and longevity is ridiculous.

It the trade off is that they’re horrible when cold, or even cool. That’s where a better street tire comes in.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:19 PM   #68
ZL1 1LE
@zle_blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post

I’m a believer in these 3Rs on track. The consistency and longevity is ridiculous.

It the trade off is that they’re horrible when cold, or even cool. That’s where a better street tire comes in.
How many track days on your 3Rs? I'm hearing like a track day and a half before chording.
Old 04-16-2018, 04:22 PM   #69
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post

By your explanation, you don't need 650hp or TQ for street driving either. Get an SS and save a ton of money
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 05:13 PM   #70
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
By your explanation, you don't need 650hp or TQ for street driving either. Get an SS and save a ton of money
Oh we usually find a way to get our right foot all the way own once or twice a drive
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote